BevelButton Bevel Style None

Agreed that you cannot replace competent with incompetence :grin:

Letā€™s back up a minute here. The BevelButton as it was until it had Dark Mode support was based on a control from Mac OS 9, and had been deprecated by Apple for at least 15 years before dark mode became a thing. Itā€™s not Xojoā€™s fault that the control wasnā€™t updated for dark mode, nor is it Appleā€™s. They had been telling developers to stop using the control since at least 10.4 IIRC.

Most of the functionality of the BevelButton was moved into NSButton, so itā€™s technically possible to build one, but Appleā€™s HIG still seems to shy away from using them, and it would not surprise me if they decided to deprecate their use or remove the capability altogether in the near future. They certainly donā€™t fit well into the iOS-ish UI that theyā€™ve been pushing lately.

Iā€™d look at the functionality that youā€™re using that causes you to want a BevelButton and check to see if it even follows Appleā€™s HIG any more. If not, you could create a container that has a page panel on it that shows the right type of button to each OS.

3 Likes

10 principles of Good UI design reads as if it was written by a bot?
Waffle-rich, detail-lite and very poor wordingā€¦

(a couple of examples)

If you would like to place a vast amount of information on your app or website, a list of tips in UI will help not to make a mass on it.

As well as text grid, fonts are also independent part of UI

Just look at Apple. Incompetence all the way.

2 Likes

Eventually, I found other reasons that BevelButton was not going to meet my needs since I need two lines of text under an icon. I built a custom control based on ContainerControl. I can assign the icon and text strings in the property inspector, but the designer canā€™t actually see it until runtime. Aside from that design time inconvenience, it works perfect.