Best practice for multipage web app

What is best practice for multipage web app? I have read about having just one or two webpages and use containers to change the content of the webpage. Is that better than having a webpage for each type of content I would like to show?

I’m watching and waiting for better experienced folks to contribute - but based on my interpretation of your question I’d say it’s very subjective. There may be technical (resource) reasons for interchanging portions of a single page, but in my brain it becomes a more manageable project if you can segregate logic onto different pages. For example, perhaps some pages could be grouped by security/access level, so limiting access to pages prevents having to micromanage security attributes of individual components. Just a thought.

1 Like

That definitely applies if you want to apply serious responsive design with the current release, as it simplifies the layout if you are using mainly containers. I personally don’t think Xojo Web is yet designed for responsive design and most likely never will. What would be nice to see in future are some adaptive design possibilities. This said, I’m currently using many(!) webpages in one app, around 20 until now.

Login screen is designed as such that it works on all devices, but the main app only looks best on normal desktops and tablets. On a mobile devices you have to scroll with 2 fingers. And for my requirements that’s good enough (requirement = phone access only necessary in case of an emergency, when you don’t have access to a tablet or a desktop). I simply don’t believe that a complex listbox will ever fit into a small mobile device screen, at least not as such that you can work properly with it, that’s where you would either develop an iOS (and in future perhaps Android) App.

If mobile device access is a must for your Web App, than it is likely the best approach to make multiple designs according to the width and height of the user’s screen (Xojo Web App can provide you these details).

So at the end it is all about what you want to achieve. I have users in my project who are all working with different aspects of the app. So using only 1-2 screen would not be an option, unless I would build an own app per bit of functionality … but a few managers are using all the possible functionality. So, it is all about what you are planning to design …

for me it depends on the app you have to achieve.
some will use one page, some will use many it really depends on the context.
like other web dev tools, they all have the notion of “master page”, then
other pages that have the master page as a background.
it is the same here.
I’m more towards the one page-multiple containers way for xojo because you make a web app with xojo mainly to interact with databases (IMHO), so this a way I would use one page.

1 Like

Same here, but this is not necessarily contradicting a multipage approach, as I just noticed :-). So what I’m currently using can probably best be described as “mulitple container based webpages” in one app. :slight_smile:

Team1: will focus mainly on one Webpage
Team2: on another page
…
TeamX: on yet another webpage

All those webpages are in one WebApp (navigation via a menu, and an initial “Dashboard” page) for the team managers who need sometimes to check the webpages of their peers.

Some of these webpages are using containers, some only contain one listbox … etc.

I hope this makes it clearer. The good news is: Xojo Web 2 can easily realize all these approaches. No one should be “afraid” of using mutliple pages, if there is a need, it works.

You meant “IF you interact with databases”, right?
Because that’s far from required.