Basic4Android

Never knew this existed until last night, and worth taking a look at. I’ve been playing with it, and have it to debug right on my phone when I press the ‘play/debug’ key. Pretty impressed. Again, worth taking a look until Xojo gets around to a similar place (if ever)…

http://www.basic4ppc.com/

You might also be interested in this: http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php

I use Basic4Android and it is excellent.

I use it also. Really good product.

I’ve tried this on and off once a year every year for probably 6 or 7 years
Tried it & it just didn’t work anything like I might have expected & threw it away every time so far

I have been using Lazarus for a while now, it is actually really good and free. I submitted two
applications to the App store without any problems and still use the latest version for other
projects.

For Windows I like Delphi 7.

I’m willing to give it a whirl (hence why I’ve tried it over & over & over) but it’s never worked very well for me at all.
Is it building Carbon Apps as Cocoa seems (from what I can tell) to be an Alpha release (maybe I’m reading that wrong?)
Downloaded & installed (this time that went painlessly - the installs usually failed for one reason or another)
Started a new project double click to add a button to the default form & this is what I get

The biggest flaw of Lazarus is … no native controls.
The second biggest flaw … it crashes A LOT.

I do not recommend it at all.

Dj vu

Some have no issues with Xojo and other have a battle every day :slight_smile:

But look at the beautiful inspector: everything sorted alphabetically and none of the useless eye-candy.

Product doesn’t work so really does that matter ?

Another good cross platform language is PureBasic. Can compile to Mac (Coco), Windows and Linux.

Has a nice IDE and compiles to 32bit and 64bit code. Can create libraries and has inline assembler.
You can also create nice games since it has a 2d and 3d library for graphics.

The executables created are really small and fast.

With inline assembler you can create really fast loops or have direct access to the CPU.

As an example of a better way to do something? . . . . . yes it does matter.

[quote=20943:@George Balla]Another good cross platform language is PureBasic. Can compile to Mac (Coco), Windows and Linux.

Has a nice IDE and compiles to 32bit and 64bit code. Can create libraries and has inline assembler.
You can also create nice games since it has a 2d and 3d library for graphics.

The executables created are really small and fast.

With inline assembler you can create really fast loops or have direct access to the CPU.[/quote]I have to say I do like purebasic for a lot of the things it offers but the IDE is horrible (especially the window editor), the language is unnecessarily complicated and all the 3D stuff is all outdated AFAIK since it uses a 3rd party engine /library that died years ago.

But funny thing is, I stuck with Xojo because a continual license fee vs a single lifetime payment gave the sense of future security. Had I known xojo was just going to spend all that money on rebranding (again) I probably would have dedicated my efforts on the IDE that looks like it’s been mutilated.

Not to mention it can produce libraries (DLL’s etc) if it wasnt for it’s poorly designed IDE and crappy looking website it would put xojo to shame imo.

[quote=20969:@[deleted]]I have to say I do like purebasic for a lot of the things it offers but the IDE is horrible (especially the window editor), the language is unnecessarily complicated and all the 3D stuff is all outdated AFAIK since it uses a 3rd party engine /library that died years ago.

But funny thing is, I stuck with Xojo because a continual license fee vs a single lifetime payment gave the sense of future security. Had I known xojo was just going to spend all that money on rebranding (again) I probably would have dedicated my efforts on the IDE that looks like it’s been mutilated.

Not to mention it can produce libraries (DLL’s etc) if it wasnt for it’s poorly designed IDE and crappy looking website it would put xojo to shame imo.[/quote]

Add in the non-native controls and no serious developer would use it, particularly not on OS X. So apart from all the things that make it pretty poor, yes, it’s great :wink: Honestly, PureBasic is fine for playing with but now that Xojo is free (except for standalone apps), even if “playing around” is your only goal, I don’t see why you wouldn’t just use Xojo. But each to their own.

Take a look at the latest version of PureBasic (Beta), New IDE and uses Directx 11 now. Everything has been
updated.

If you develop on Windows as your primary machine, there are a ton of reasons. I would never switch to PureBasic, it seems to be more of a hobbiest community, but there are some really rough-edges in Xojo that need to be worked out on the Windows side, that may seem more stable in PureBasic if all you were doing was playing around with the IDEs.

The Purebasic community is actually pretty advanced, they are actually writing device drivers for hardware using PureBasic.
Kinda insane some of the stuff these guys and girls are doing.

A lot of them have good amounts of knowledge on assembler and know how to use it. You can actually learn a lot as they
post lots of source code for all kinds of different things. With PB you can use inline assembler for Windows and Mac.

Some of the games coming out developed using PB is pretty incredible. Just take a look at the samples that
come with PB.

PB is currently being developed by two guys, so it is updated regularly and they listen in on the forums
for any feedback.

If your into learning it is a good place to visit.

I like the amazing efforts of those guys, but as anything done by young people I feel it directed to games and things like that. I have interests in business software; things focused in databases, data browsing, reports, etc. The business part they do great is integration of new hardware by linking in libraries and even manipulating machine code. Those 2 guys had a break in the PB developing the past when they started to work for other people. There is some uncertain about future availability too. Their business model does not guarantee any influx of money like US$50/year. It costs like US$120 lifetime including ANY upgrades and this should implode their business later.

Dealing with App Wrapper customers who use Lazarus, it does seem to be a crash fest (a bit like QT also). You know when you start looking at Xojo competition, you realize that there isn’t any other significant player. LiveCode comes pretty close in terms of stability, but it doesn’t seem to like being Sandboxed. LiveCode’s functionality is also severally limited and several users are unable to get Retina working at all, even though it produces Cocoa apps.

Xojo is literally the best x-plat dev tool that I’ve come across.