Back after four years - should I update?

I’ve got a new project (on a very tight schedule) that will build on the framework of a large app I last worked on in 2013. I have Xojo 2013 r3.3 but frankly preferred working with the Real Studio 2012 IDE. It’s tempting to assume that lots of improvements have been made in the intervening years and that it’ll be great, but I’ve been disappointed so many times in the past by “improvements” :frowning: Most importantly, I don’t want to drop $240 (and probably another $150 or so to MBS) only to find that my old code is horribly broken by the updates and I’ll end up spending my time making the framework that worked then work again now in the new IDE, rather than writing the new program. Comments?

If you are on Windows, Real Studio would be what I would use - I have yet to find any issues with my RB-compiled programs on Win 10. If you are on a Mac you probably must update, as Apple keep changing things in their OS from what I can see.

Is there any specific thing(s) that Xojo2013 won’t do for you today?
If an tweeks, additions, or updates you need to make are within the realm of what 2013 was, then why bother?
If you know that there are specific issues, then you’d really have no choice but to update

you can download the latest IDE and test it out (can’t compile but can run the application).

Thanks, guys.

Peter, I prefer to code on Mac but the ultimate target is Windows.

Dave, I’m sure 2013 will work, but if the IDE has improved significantly while not breaking old code I’d like to enjoy the improvements.

Scott, yes, I may do that but was hoping to get an idea in advance of what to expect, and possible pitfalls, from the community. Like “oh, it’s a million times better now than 2013, go for it” or “meh, it’s the same, all the development has been in web and iOS”, or “I’ve had to rewrite all my old code to work with the latest version of Xojo”. It’s been so long since I’ve used it I’m not sure I’ll know what to look for until having dived in pretty deeply.

it is a lot better in my opinion that 2013. but others may or may not agree with me.
it will all depend on your specific code.

Not starting too well. I downloaded the demo; the UI on first glance looks pretty much the same as 2013’s but it gives quite a few errors when I try to run my app, which runs under 2013. RS 2012 won’t accept my reg code anymore :frowning:

See https://forum.xojo.com/44376-unable-to-activate-my-license for the license issues.

Contact hello@xojo.com for license issues. As a windows user I have found Xojo to be superior to RS, but my impression is that macOS users are underwhelmed by the UI.

One great thing about Xojo the company is that you won’t need to purchase all the upgrades you have bypassed, try that with other software vendors.

New releases add LOT more functionality/improvements… including compiling/deploy 64 bits binaries for macOS/Windows/Linux, what may be a requirement.

About “broken” code, I think that this is something that is inherent to evolution, both the IDE/Compiler from the Xojo side as for the supported OSes. I mean, lots of times we have to update our apps just because OS updates not supporting “this” or “that” way of doing things…

Just my opinion.

Javier

there are not a lot of code breaking from 2013 to 2017… more from RS2012 to 2013 than 2013 to 2017.
it’s always a matter of some replace in the code.
… except if you used a plugin that is no longer supported …

it’s more if you want to sell your app through mac or windows store, then you must update as you need 64 bits app.
if you want to sell outside of app stores, you will have to support your customers systems, so you must update also
if it’s a personnel project, you can go on with your 2013 version it should be fine.

Selling a Xojo made Windows app to Windows 10 users may not be as easy as compiling for Windows on Mac.

Users are a lot more demanding in terms of UI than a quick and dirty port of a Mac app.

If you ever consider placing the app in the Windows Store, you better get prepared for some updating of the UI.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn958432.aspx

Wayne, you get the price for the greatest spin ever! :wink:

You are aware that Xojo abolished updates years ago? That he might as well buy a new license as there is no reduced update pricing? That an “update” is full price?

I’m pretty sure other software vendors will let him buy a new license without requiring him to buy all the intervening versions too. But better to not give them silly ideas … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=361519:@Michel Bujardet]Selling a Xojo made Windows app to Windows 10 users may not be as easy as compiling for Windows on Mac.

Users are a lot more demanding in terms of UI than a quick and dirty port of a Mac app.

If you ever consider placing the app in the Windows Store, you better get prepared for some updating of the UI.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn958432.aspx[/quote]

I don’t buy that one bit. Microsoft attempted to force this “modern” UI on the world with Windows 8, which turned out an even more despised version than Vista.

I hate these bloated, space-wasting, heavily-animated, heavily-graphical interfaces. They’re just fugly.

Hello,
when your Windows-app uses printing then you will probably have to update your printing-code because Xojo switched to a more modern graphics system. But that should not be a real problem - you only have to adapt the scaling of the content that gets printed (as far as my experience goes).

[quote=361521:@Markus Winter]Wayne, you get the price for the greatest spin ever! :wink:

You are aware that Xojo abolished updates years ago? That he might as well buy a new license as there is no reduced update pricing? That an “update” is full price?[/quote]

Perhaps things are slightly different in your part of the world. Here you’re on contract and get updates or not and buy a new product to upgrade (but wait that is what Xojo offers except the new product price is the same as an upgrade).

Xojo reduced their purchase price to that of annual renewal and that allows users to avoid paying for incremental updates. Does that piss me off as a recipient of the greatest spin ever? Yes! However the future of my company is linked to Xojo’s success so pissed off I will continue to be!

One of the line of business vendors my clients deal with require a monthly fee of $150 per user and if you drop a user you need to pay $4800 to reinstate that user before continuing to pay the $150 for that user per month. And yes this to reinstate the already purchased license already owned.

This model is extremely profitable for the software vendor, everyone hates them, but they have the monopoly (so far).

How do you want Xojo to behave? My preference would to be to reinstate the renewal + 100% price which gives me a perceived value for the asset I purchased. However I still need Xojo to succeed for my company to be viable so I’m just going to assume that Geoff might know what he’s doing and given the viability of Xojo that just might be a valid assumption.

Welcome back (I just wanted an excuse to use this image again).

I made the mistake of buying straight away but now I would suggest to use the free version until you are ready to release unless you really need non-binary source code saving for version control.

I help (or hinder ;)) Xojo in the mean time by submitting bug reports.

If you code on Mac and target windows I would suggest testing UI code as you go to make sure it comes out as expected, try not to overly embed stuff (this will hopefully be remedied in 2018r1).

You’re on a very tight schedule. You have code that you know worked in a particular version. You don’t want to spend any money on upgrades right now. Unless you have something specific that you know you need to consider, such as 64-bit, I wouldn’t be messing with my coding environment under those conditions.

and I will (eventually) be back to consider it once the “new” version ship. (so I will know what the current Xojo version is).

Also, after shipping, I will get an eye on the release notes (from after 2013 r3.3 until current [2017r2.1 now, but this change]), so I know what have changed / where I can improve my shipped application, eventually.

The price is Xojo‘s business. The old $299 was obviously too low for them, $999 too high. They settled on $699, and that’s their prerogative. But don‘t misrepresent your example as typical and Xojo as a glowing exception. A question was asked, it deserves an honest answer, not some spin.