Automatic Updates?

Most of my apps on MAS have Kaju inside but not called for MAS. I just use a compiler switch to create two versions, one for MAS and one for outside.

[quote=208537:@David Cox]I use a constant in the Open Event for AppleStore = True. Then use the # to block the compiling of it e.g.

#if app.AppStore then
Kaju code
#endif[/quote]
Don’t you mean

#if NOT app.AppStore then Kaju code #endif

Yes and no. Well, really yes.

Yes in my example above. No, in that in some areas you want to remove update menus and certain buttons from the AppStore version.

@Kem Tekinay : Does Kaju still work on MacOS 10.15 Catalina?

I don’t know, but I’ll be tackling it soon.

Since I’m not interested in an automatic update and only in alerting the user to the availability of a new version I don’t use any of those systems. Just make a simple web request to the distribution server for a json file that contains the current version info and some other descriptive info and dates and such. The program will check it a few minutes after startup and once a week and compare it’s internal version numbers against whats in the file. If they are newer in the json file I display that info and offer a link to the download page which is also in the JSON.

Simple checkbox in preferences to stop it if the used doesn’t want it.

Very simple and since there is no auto update it will not run up against any security stuff or any other issues.

This is my preference also. But it is really easy to modify the Kaju application to change the Install Update button to direct the user to my download page and still keep the nice features of Kaju that allow me to manage the update notification process.

My response was only really for those that haven’t implemented it yet. I have used it for other things, this was by no means meant to be any kind of negative review of it. It’s fantastic.