Autocomplete randomly stops working

[quote=231738:@Norman Palardy]Are you referring to 41290 (reported 2015-11-07 ?)
Thats fixed already for a future release[/quote]Right. And I am longing for the fix to be available. Since we have Xojo, I rely much more often to search than before with the Realbasic IDE.

Another feature I heavily rely on is autocomplete. Just to see what is available and to get the correct name without typos.

I fully understand how frustrating it can be to track down such errors. I will try to find a reproducible situation, as I did for case 41290.

But the number of reactions above confirm: Houston, we have a problem.

I cant fix anecdotes though

I also have the problem that autocomplete works in a line of code and when I return to this line of code the autocomplete feature sometimes does not work (Xojo 2015R3.1 on Maverick).

I havent seen this bug in Xojo 2014Rx.x - Xojo2015R2.x. But now the error occurs every few minutes.

Here is an example where autocomplete doesn’t work for me (in an derived textfield control). the following zip file includes a video and a Xojo demo project.

dropbox

@Norman Palardy
does the example above help to identify situations when autocomplete doesen’t work? After uploading the demo project I started the project again and have had autocomplete support in the shown row. But after working a little around in the mehtod, the autocomplete functionality for the shwon row was missing again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Not that specific issue no, but I have often typed through lines of code where autocomplete doesn’t find a single class property for me, and then 2 lines of code later it’s working perfectly again. I have no idea whats going on yet, I can’t find an obvious set of parameters where it reliably fails but something is going on. If I can ever duplicate it from one build to another I will create a bug report, but right now it’s seemingly random where it happens.

And I’m not counting in there when I have a real code error above that might blow up the parsing… Those are not xojo’s fault :wink:

James, thanks for your feedback. On my System the autocomplete functions fails reliable every time in the posted code example.

I use Mavericks and Xojo 2015R3.1.
With Xojo 2015R2.x and prior autocomplete works fine. So it seems that the failure comes with Xojo 2015R3.x

@Norman Palardy
Hello Norman,

the above example isn’t an anecdote. It is reliable on my system. Perhaps it could help to identify the other problems with autocomplete. What do you think?

This “anecdote” is really killing me: I can’t reproduce it reliably, but still it happens again and again: how can I work with this IDE when I have to remember all the names of controls and variables, just because autocomplete stops working every once in a while?!

Might be a duplicate, but I’ve opened <https://xojo.com/issue/43131> on this as it’s driving me nuts on a new project.

I’ve seen it in the past where AutoComplete stops working if there’s a compiler error. Since AutoComplete and the Compiler kind of the do the same job, it makes sense. When I’m doing work and all of a sudden AC stops, I usually find a compile error in the code above. YMMV, of course.

@Bob Keeney - Could very well be, but the only recovery is to completely exit the IDE and relaunch. Kind of “kills the groove” when you’re in the “zone”.

I do a compile to see where the error is and fix it. Then it starts back up again.

Sounds like you might be seeing something new and different, though.

Autocomplete sometimes stops working here as well. Nothing a restart cannot fix, though.

I gave some thought to what is involved underneath, and am impressed enough not to criticize much. Since it is obviously a random occurrence, I believe Norman needs solid evidence to squash the bugger, otherwise he would have fixed that a while ago. Unfortunately, I was unable to evidence anything reproducible.

i reproduce the with autocomplete with bellow code in method

[code] dim fld1,fld2,fld3 as string

fld1 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 7).ToText
fld2 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 8).ToText
fld3 = MidB(ps, 0, 9).ToText[/code]
From fld1 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 7).ToText i remove Pshellout and i put something random for error and the i press the btn to check for items errors,the i get the bug in the left.
I move to another window or method or anywhere inside xojo and i go back to method,i put the right name again and i delete the bellow fld2 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 8).ToText,then i put P and i press Tab and after Esc,then again PS and tab…
then the autocomplete is not working…
Video

There are spots where it wont matter what I do until it can be rewritten to take into account language changes that have occurred.

“Using” and “global” are two notable additions but there are others.
Much of it is designed with “everything the IDE knows about is always available everywhere” which is definitely no longer true with web & iOS projects

[quote=256009:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]i reproduce the with autocomplete with bellow code in method

[code] dim fld1,fld2,fld3 as string

fld1 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 7).ToText
fld2 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 8).ToText
fld3 = MidB(ps, 0, 9).ToText[/code]
From fld1 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 7).ToText i remove Pshellout and i put something random for error and the i press the btn to check for items errors,the i get the bug in the left.
I move to another window or method or anywhere inside xojo and i go back to method,i put the right name again and i delete the bellow fld2 = MidB(pShellOut, 0, 8).ToText,then i put P and i press Tab and after Esc,then again PS and tab…
then the autocomplete is not working…
Video[/quote]
This should be in a bug report if its not already - video & all
Reproducible cases are something that is usually fixable

The reports that are “yeah it stops but I have no idea how to make it do that again” are ones that may languish since not being able to reproduce it makes it that much harder to fix - I have to start by figuring out how to reproduce it. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can’t

The problem maybe is one of them backspace,tab,check this item for error button.
Only this 3 i have use on my video nothing else.
And the “shellout” is empty global property.

App.MouseCursor = System.Cursors… hasn’t worked in a long long time.

I’ve noticed when autocomplete stops working, it works for System.Cursors.

System is a special beast :stuck_out_tongue: