I think this is rather cool
Not quite Off-Topic, since this is all about getting a Xojo Web-App deployed on a Synology NAS.
the image below is just a little mug-up of the Synology Manager of my little xDocker (or Xojo Docker) app.
What I want to do is:
- Being able to drag a web-app into the “project window” of this xDocker app. xDocker will upload the executable to the NAS, along with the libraries needed to run it.
- Create a Docker Image on the NAS
- Create a Docker Container on the NAS, with persistent memory options (volumes / folders on the NAS)
- Run the Web-App (maybe even with external debugging from Xojo enabled, but I have to find out if that is even possible)
There is quite a lot to do. But so far, I have been able to:
- Find my NAS on the network, with the help of some MBS networking plugins. (thanks @Christian_Schmitz )
- Use the Synology API (yes, there is a REST API for dealing with the DSM)
- Check if Docker is installed and running on the NAS
- Communicate with Docker on the NAS, using the UNIX Docker Socket.
So, I think most if the things I want are possible.
Of course, not all Synology NAS systems support Docker. But fortunately two of mine do.
And in the future I could make xDocker support other NAS brands. But since I only have Synology and a WD NAS (that doesn’t support Docker), I’ll stick with Synology for now.
Looks like you’re building Lifeboat for NAS.
Funnily enough, my early window designs looked similar to yours (even so far as the status indicator, you can ask @Gavin_Smith )
Lifeboat has different goals, getting your app on the cloud rather than a NAS drive. I get asked about NAS from time to time, so there are people around here who will find your tool useful
Have fun with the journey, it turns out to be a long one!
I looked at Lifeboat. And I love the idea.
Yeah, I’m not sure if I even want the indicator displayed that way. But I want to show multiple statuses: Online, Offline, logged-in-status, docker installed, etc… Icons, on in this mug-up, emoji, takes up less space.
For small projects I prefer to use a NAS. And I’m sure others will agree.
Also, Xojo has remote debugging. So, I could debug a Docker app right from Xojo, on the target platform. That is still on my figure-things-out-list
But adding NAS support to Lifeboat might be a good idea.
Yeah, it really is fun to figure things out. It’s like playing Lego’s… but for digi-nerds, right?
I really like the
Add / Remove buttons, that
+ / - segmented control thing.
Is the segmented control actually used for that?
It’s something @Anthony_G_Cyphers made for me, it’s segmentedcontrol on Mac and two bevel buttons on Windows. I don’t know if he includes it in GraffitiSuite.