Associate a file and set a file icon

[quote=129977:@Markus Winter]Yes. Already six years ago and nothing has been done about it.

See feedback case 666

:-P[/quote]
I think we need to put this on God’s priority fix list.
Really how hard can that be ?
After all creating the Universe took 7 days so really how long can it take to alter one planets rotational velocity so we have 100 hour days ?
Slackers ………

It will take as long as it takes …

:stuck_out_tongue:

Btw at current speed a day is longer by about 1.7 milliseconds than a century ago.

However with the current laws of physics the end product will have a day which is 47 current days long … so it will take a while to get there. On the other hand it far exceeds your stated specifications. Over-engineered, really.

[quote=129988:@Markus Winter]It will take as long as it takes …
[/quote]
Fair :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=129988:@Markus Winter]Btw at current speed a day is longer by about 1.7 milliseconds than a century ago.

However with the current laws of physics the end product will have a day which is 47 current days long … so it will take a while to get there. On the other hand it far exceeds your stated specifications. Over-engineered, really.[/quote]
OMG it will take “forever” to get to a productively long day :slight_smile:
Human cloning anyone ?
Or maybe that mythical army of monkeys typing to help me get more done every day :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=129975:@Norman Palardy]Well done
And now you can see why a UTI editor IS definitely on the TO DO list
This is a pain in the butt to have to do externally

So many things to do - so little time

Anyone put in a feature request for 100 hours days yet ?[/quote]
I try to simplify it as best as I can… I assure you, it will be better… Now if I could get App Wrapper inside Xojo, the closest I can get is by using Build Scripts.

before I continue my search…
has this been made any easier in the last 3 years?

Yes, there were improvements. However, there were several problems with a couple of Xojo versions. Which version do you use currently?

2016r4.1 for macOS

Which for me translates into: No, it hasn’t gotten any better.

In the Finder, view by Icons, show the View Options 5I think it is the windoid name):

uncheck (if checked) the “Preview instead of Icon“ (if it is the correct english sentence); the second checkbox to get applications icons instead of a default macOS icon (generic TEXT icon with csv, text, etc. inside for example depending on the UTI / file extension, whatever).

Of course, if the application user have that checkbox checked, the wondeful icon created by the application builder will not be displayed.

If the custom file holds text, the Finder detect if and can display a generic icon whatever method the application use to create and fill the file (TextOutputStream or BinaryStream !).

I am sorry for the probably poor english above and I hope that I am correct for the current Xojo version (2017r3).

@Tim Parnell: here is the really bad bug <https://xojo.com/issue/42878> . I had to fiddle endlessly with a plist file to get the §$%& icons working properly. So 2016r4 is fine.

@Emil Schwarz: Xojo and not Finder

Isn’t it Finder who display the Icon ?
(yes, I do not understand).

@Emil Schwarz: you need to prepare the Xojo app with those lovely UTIs. This is usually pretty §$%& to test because we developers tend to have too many versions of our apps around. This is the main reason why problems with the UTIs like the bug I found are hard to notice.