ARGH ! My app no longer starts under Windows 10 :(

My apps Check Writer III and Check Print’R no longer work under Windows 10. Today I sat to work on the next version and when I run, Xojo says “Launching Application…” and nothing happens ! The app does not show in Task Manager, and in the IDE messages area, nothing at all, until I click stop and I get
“CheckPrinter.exe Ended”. Normally that should have been preceded by “CheckPrinter Started”.

Worse, far worse, all the previous versions executable no longer start. Including the one I have on the web site.

I first blamed the anti-virus, and went up to entirely removing it, but that was not it. Then I made sure to exclude the folder in Windows Defender. No joy.

I checked that the app still works just fine under Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.

I am at a total loss here, and dread the idea to patiently recreate all the project until I find where the issue is. What really baffles me is the fact that executables that worked a couple days ago no longer even launch. Just like the debug run.

In DebugView, I get this :

[1664] shell\twinui
owplayingsessionmanager\localprovider\baseprovider\lib\baseprovider.cpp(516)\PSMDesktopProvider.dll!00007FFDDEC7E7B8: (caller: 00007FFDDEC749F9) ReturnHrPreRelease tid(ca8) 80070490 Element not found.

What could it be ?

Have you tried your app on one of the Windows 10 Modern IE VMs to see if it’s just your computer?

Does it run as admin? (may be failing to write to registry or somewhere)

Does it unzip files at first startup? (may be getting every file checked by something)

Do you know how to ‘change ownership’ of the drive and folders?

Virus taken over?

Yes. Same issue.

[quote=285065:@Jeff Tullin]Does it run as admin? (may be failing to write to registry or somewhere)

Does it unzip files at first startup? (may be getting every file checked by something)

Do you know how to ‘change ownership’ of the drive and folders?

Virus taken over?[/quote]

No, does not run as admin, no, does not unzip anything, Why should I change ownership ?

I should add that other projects still run just fine as builds, under 2015R4.1 or 2016R2.1.

So its only apps built with 2016 R2.2?

Changing ownership once fixed a problem I had of a similar nature… windows decided ‘I’ didnt own the folders any more and wouldnt allow the app to write temp files.

[quote=285073:@Jeff Tullin]So its only apps built with 2016 R2.2?

Changing ownership once fixed a problem I had of a similar nature… windows decided ‘I’ didnt own the folders any more and wouldnt allow the app to write temp files.[/quote]

No, its apps built with 2015R4.1. But I also try to run the project in 2016R2.1. As I said, simple test projects run just fine.

I went back to 7/6/2016 when I have a version that runs.

I guess I will have to start over…

It could be Windows itself, not your app that is having a problem.

A similar problem was fixed by stopping the Explorer.exe process and restarting it. Stop the process in Task manager, and restart it by typing explorer.exe in the command box. I haven’t had that sort of issue lately and I am pretty sure that you are very up-to-date on updates, so it is certainly a long shot.

also, (just stating the obvious) I did not read that you restarted the computer. Perhaps a cold boot can fix the issue?

[quote=285084:@Louis Desjardins]It could be Windows itself, not your app that is having a problem.

A similar problem was fixed by stopping the Explorer.exe process and restarting it. Stop the process in Task manager, and restart it by typing explorer.exe in the command box. I haven’t had that sort of issue lately and I am pretty sure that you are very up-to-date on updates, so it is certainly a long shot.

also, (just stating the obvious) I did not read that you restarted the computer. Perhaps a cold boot can fix the issue?[/quote]

I have restarted several times, including a cold boot. And the problem manifests also in a Windows 10 VM on the Mac, so I doubt it can be an issue of the Windows install.

I took the version that runs fine in the MAS, generated for Windows, and it dot run either.

What I suspect is that some update is preventing my software versions after 7/6/2016 to run. Unfortunately, there is no crash report to be found, so I have no idea what it is.

At any rate, since I found the version just before it stops working, my hope is I will find exactly the root of the problem.

I reported it also because if an app that is been tested and released two months ago stopped working in the last couple days, I may not be the only one affected.

Anything in the Windows Event Viewer (System & Applications)

Did these just get upgraded to the “Anniversary” update? Could that be related?

I think I just found what went bezerk.

When I tried the app under Windows 8.1, it complained that it needed MSVCR100.DLL, so I just copied it next to the executable, and it ran just fine.

Now I just wanted to verify with the same build, and it ran !

With a copy file step that copies MSVCR100.DLL next to the executable, the latest project runs fine in the IDE.

I can’t believe it was that simple. The annoying thing is that it failed silently. There was nothing either in the events viewer.

[quote=285094:@jean-paul devulder]May be this tools can by usual for eventual futur problem ?

link: [/quote]

Thank you Jean-Paul. It would indeed have showed MSVCR100.DLL.

@jean-paul devulder
How did you come about that little gem?

Indeed, Dependency Walker is a superb tool in this age of the return of DLL hell…

Not quite as straightforward as it seems, though. Although my app executes now, DW lists dozens of “missing forwarded dependencies”, but msvcr100.dll is not among them.

One thing is for sure : 2015R4.1 packs msvcr120.dll already, but yet, my app needs msvcr100.dll anyway. In another discussion I blamed 2016R2.1 for not having it, and Travis Hill suggested if a plugin needed it, pack it with. But 2015R4.1 seemed just fine. It would not be a problem if like Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, Windows 10 complained it was not here. Instead, it failed silently.

What I still don’t understand is why everything was peachy until yesterday.

I am quite relieved, though. I have not yet really launched the Windows version, so I still have time to correct by packing the DLL.

When I think I once dropped VB, among other things, for its pesky VB100.DLL haphazard presence :s …

You know what they say : sleep over it, and clarity will come.

The very root of my demise was simple : I had inaugurated a new PC, and instead of simply cloning my old drive, I installed a new system. Where the legacy DLL was not. That explains why all the sudden, software that had worked fine until then all the sudden stopped working.

At any rate, I am glad I went through it before the actual launch of the product. I see the kind of angry customers and bad reviews that would have got me.