Are you thinking about buying an iMac Pro....?

Thank you again :slight_smile: This sounds re-assuring. I’ll give it a go after this fiscal quarter I think. And think of some test routines (like comparing CSVs made w both builds?).

I have a technique I call sub-projects to help with slow compiling, finding hard to track bugs and other nice problems. Works only with binary/xml projects, though. My technique is the main reason I can’t easily use text projects.

All classes and modules are external. And can belong to multiple projects.

In my projects I’ve got a couple of different types of classes. There are the helper classes. These usually don’t get changed much and they already come with example projects.

There are the base classes. These are the exception handlers, logging, common modules.

The main classes contain the main functionality. Every main area has its own sub-project. The preferences, the Imap functionality, my new Imap parser and so on. Each project contains all the base classes. This enforces OO!

I don’t use this all the time because the main computer is fast enough. But when it was too hot this summer I had to work in the basement with my MacBook Air. The MacBook can compile the big project but it was way too slow. So I did a sub-project for the stuff I was working on and everything was fine. Then the brain was the major slowdown.

Thanks Jean-Yves. Am I to understand taking the classes external speeds up the Run/Build times? I’m pretty sure I tried this in the past (a long time ago to be fair), and found no improvement

I did notice today… my current project compiles in about 20 seconds on my iMac, the exact same code ported directly to a MacPro running WIndows10 takes almost 3 minutes… and the MacPro is no slouch

Hi Dave. That’s a pretty massive difference - I presume bootcamp and not Parallels? What’s the MacPro spec?

Yes Bootcamp… its an older MacPro (2006) which is why its has been relegated to running Windows.
The MP is slower than my iMac, but geez… didn’t think it would be THAT much slower…

@Chris O’Brien: the speed increase comes from not having 500 project items but only 60 - 80 for the larger sub-projects.

Just out of curiosity: how many classes do you have?

It’s quite a bit of work to set this up. Since my main computer isn’t willing to boot today I will have to work this way in the next days again.

And I will need a new computer. The iMacs aren’t that bad in price. But the RAM is pure robbery. Even the Air has 8 GB. I’ve worked with 32 GB in the last 2 years.

I actually have no idea how many classes I have and no idea hoe to count them efficiently. I keep a binary file as well, but my reason is to take a quick snapshot of the project before I get adventurous with a bit of code.

I might try taking the stagnant classes out to see if it makes a difference - I’ll do a small test first and if it proves positive I’ll do the rest - even if it takes me a couple of days, it’ll pay for itself fairly quickly.

Thanks very much for the tip