Are all updates for customers free?

I know, that for BlitzBasic/MonkeyX and PureBasic, you buy one license and becomes updates / new versions of it for ever!

And there existing other Basic-Dialects, where you buy a license for a special version of the Compiler. And you have then possibly one year free updates and after that you you have to buy a new version again, if you want the newest version.

How is is with Xojo.
At first I thought that a special version will be buyed with limited update time. Because on the sides of programs with lifelong update-support (BlitzBasic, PureBasic, …) it is big mentioned on there side.
For example on PureBasic http://www.purebasic.com/ordering.php :[quote]The updates are unlimited, unlike most other software out there. This means than when you buy PureBasic you will get all future updates for free, on this web site (it only applies if registered on this web site, not for boxed version of PureBasic).[/quote]
And for MonkeyX and BlitzMax it isn’t so clear said, but they wrote at http://www.blitzmax.com/Products/index.php:[quote][quote]You will receive a registration code with your purchase entitling you to free product updates and support at the Monkey X website[/quote]You will receive a registration code with your purchase entitling you to free product updates and support at the blitzbasic.com website[/quote]
But at http://www.monkey-x.com/Store/index.php stands:[quote]+ Free lifetime updates[/quote]

But at https://www.xojo.com/store/ you don’t write more specific about that.
There don’t stand, if it will be lifetime-updates or for only a little time period. And if it is for a little time period, how long that time period is.

But, on the other side, other Basic-Compiler or general programs, where you only buy a license for a special version, the version number you are going to buy is mentioned. But on the Xojo-store page only stands, that you buy Xojo Single Desktop / Desktop / Web / iOS /Pro / Enterprise.

Greatings
theuserbl

You should read this: https://www.xojo.com/store/index.php
And more precise : read the FAQ ‘How does a Xojo license subscription work?’

As long as your license is current, updates are free. Once it expires, you can use the current version before it expired indefinitely, but to gain access to new updates, you need to renew the license.

Please don’t delete your question once it’s answered, that prevents others with the same question from looking it up.

He didn’t. Jason Parsley did, apparently.

Oooh. The thick plottens.

There must be an interesting backstory there…

Tell us then!!!
And what makes you think Jason deleted it?

[quote=158502:@Richard Summers]Tell us then!!!
And what makes you think Jason deleted it?[/quote]
Hold your mouse over the deleted post and it tells you who deleted it.

I restored it long enough to read it then delete it again. It appears to be someone advertising competing products. They kept talking about what you get with specific other tools and providing links to their sites. Seems to me that if he really just wanted to know our policy, he would ask that simple question.

OK, my mind is going on me. I could swear that I had read the post before it was deleted and it was a simple request. Must be thinking of something else. Nothing to see here. Move along.

@Geoff P: Then you have misunderstood my posting. It was no advertising for other products. I only mentioned them, because that are examples of products with lifetime updates.
And I have mentioned TWO different products from different companies. So it was also no advertising for a special company or product.
Why haven’ you edit the text by deleting the links and the product names? Why have you deleted the complete posting?

Derek D answered my question partially. (Thanks @ Derek).

So the updates are not for lifetime. They are only as long as the license expires.
But HOW LONG hold a license? After what time will be a license expire?
And HOW MUCH costs to renew a license?

[quote=158565:@Patrick S]But HOW LONG hold a license? After what time will be a license expire?
And HOW MUCH costs to renew a license?[/quote]

All the updates you got during the license will work forever.

@ Michel B: But if the license expired, you have no access to new updates, right?
How long does it need, after a license expire? And how much does it costs, to have an additional moth, year or decade of updates?

[quote=158568:@Patrick S]But if the license expired, you have no access to new updates, right?
How long does it need, after a license expire? [/quote]

When the license expires, you keep your software which will remain working.

New updates will run in the IDE, but to build you will need to buy a new license or renew.

May I suggest you direct other questions directly to custserv@xojo.com who will be more able to answer.

Pricing is available in our store - http://xojo.com/store. The price depends on what kind of license you have.

You can purchase a renewal for 1 or 2 years at a time. You will not lose access to a release that came out when your plan was active. When your key expires you will not get any future updates until you renew.

@ Dana B: Thanks for your helpful answer.

[quote=158573:@Dana B]You can purchase a renewal for 1 or 2 years at a time.[/quote]Ah. Thanks for that info. And to buy a license the first time, it holds on one year, right?
I have now clicked there on “Buy now”. And then there stand in a list
“Annual Price xxx per year”.
I think, that information helps much, too. But it is only to see, if “Buy now” was pressed. Before comes not that info on that side.

[quote]You will not lose access to a release that came out when your plan was active. When your key expires you will not get any future updates until you renew.[/quote] Thanks for your answer.

There is a “remove” button when I select to renew my licence, but not a “+” button to add a year (and then have 2 years).

I didn’t validate (and I canceled), but I selected “Xojo Desktop, 12 Month Renewal” and “Xojo Desktop” , the both cost $299. I read some post about that but I still don’t understand. It’s better for me to buy a new license and keep the old one for my Mac running Snow Leopard, as it’s the same price.

Third remark : It’s better for me to wait the next update of Xojo. It will be in 2 or 3 months and the last update came out while my license was active. Like that I earn 3 months. Or will the count down start at the next update if I buy today? I suppose not.
I suppose too that everybody does like me. Then Xojo don’t have many money for a while and then have a lot of when an update came out.

Outside go being able to report bugs and have points towards the bugs you care about, once your license runs out there is usually little point to renewing until after the next release.

IIRC it used to be that you got point releases after license expiration if the main release happened when your license was active , but I don’t know if that is still the case… Since point releases are for major bugs in the main release, IMO they should be.

• Karen

Please note that what you buy is a subscription to updates and a perpetual license to any release within your subscription period.

From the store page linked above: