AppWrapper and Resource Forks??

Hi,
I have a really strange problem regarding AppWrapper.

I wrapped my app many times before, and it has always wrapped perfectly.
I decided to recolor 14 of my toolbar icons in photoshop, so I opened them up, changed the colour, and then resaved them.

Now when I try to wrap my app - AppWrapper produces 14 error messages (the 14 images which I changed the colour of) - stating:
Application contains Resource Forks and may not work when zipped with AppWrapper.

It the lists the paths to all 14 of my recolored images:
Contains Resource Fork: “/Applications/Test/Test.app/Contents/Resources/CreateButton.png”
Contains Resource Fork: “/Applications/Test/Test.app/Contents/Resources/CreateButton@2x.png”
etc.
etc.
etc.

I have absolutely no idea what has gone wrong, as I only changed the color of the images.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you all in advance.

[quote=129191:@Richard Summers]Hi,
I have a really strange problem regarding AppWrapper.

I wrapped my app many times before, and it has always wrapped perfectly.
I decided to recolor 14 of my toolbar icons in photoshop, so I opened them up, changed the colour, and then resaved them.

Now when I try to wrap my app - AppWrapper produces 14 error messages (the 14 images which I changed the colour of) - stating:
Application contains Resource Forks and may not work when zipped with AppWrapper.

It the lists the paths to all 14 of my recolored images:
Contains Resource Fork: “/Applications/Test/Test.app/Contents/Resources/CreateButton.png”
Contains Resource Fork: “/Applications/Test/Test.app/Contents/Resources/CreateButton@2x.png”
etc.
etc.
etc.

I have absolutely no idea what has gone wrong, as I only changed the color of the images.
Can anyone help me?
[/quote]

Sam will probably give you more information, but I have the same warnings for my latest app, and yet everything works fine.

When I run my app - the images appear and the app works fine - but I obviously cannot submit it to the MAS until I know why this is happening, as it didn’t happen until I changed the colour of my images.

Guess I will have to wait until tonight and hope Sam reads this post.

Do you have exactly the same warnings regarding Resource Forks, if so, what did you change which caused your error messages to appear?

Thanks Michel.

Yes. And I submitted successfully to the MAS as well. My app contains about 30 pictures.

Resource forks are an antiquated relic of the Mac past. See Resource fork - Wikipedia

Photoshop adds them as part of its file format Resource fork - Wikipedia

Should you lose sleep over that, you can remove the resource fork :
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20030717121524711

I don’t want to remove any Resource Forks (just in case it removes something else and completely renders my app useless).
So it was photoshop which added them to my image - Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for that info Michel - I guess I should just submit and see what happens.

Yup Photoshop loves to add Resource forks, albeit nothing can use 'em!

You can disable this warning in the preferences of App Wrapper. I’m working on a new version which can remove them, but also uses a better zip system which is tolerant of them (incase you want to keep 'em).

So basically it is ok to leave them there, regarding submitting to the MAS?

For the time being… However it’s been 14 years since Apple told us to stop using them!

When saving pictures, select “Save as…” and tick “Save as web ready (without resource)”,
this example has been taken from GraphicConverter:

[quote=131714:@Detlef Kahner]When saving pictures, select “Save as…” and tick “Save as web ready (without resource)”,
this example has been taken from GraphicConverter:
[/quote]

Photoshop does not have that option. But your tip shows a way to remove the fork with GraphicConverter, then. Thank you.

Any ideas how to do this in photoshop CS 5, or via a free app on OS X?

Thanks.

[quote=131723:@Richard Summers]Any ideas how to do this in photoshop CS 5, or via a free app on OS X?

Thanks.[/quote]

http://www5.wind.ne.jp/miko/mac_soft/automator_actions/pgs/ZapResourceForksAMA-en.html

Thanks Michel.
It seems it was last updated in 2009, so hopefully it still works in Mavericks?

[quote=131737:@Richard Summers]Thanks Michel.
It seems it was last updated in 2009, so hopefully it still works in Mavericks?[/quote]

I just tried it, and it works fine.

Cool.
Thank you for that link Michel :slight_smile:

It’s my belief that V2 code signatures actually ignore the resource forks in files. Whether this is a bug or a feature, I’m not sure…

In my latest app, App Wrapper issued warnings, but the app worked fine and was accepted for review fine. So I tend to leave the Photoshop resource forks as they are until it becomes an issue.

Currently you can disable this warning if you like, I was trying to anticipate something that Apple might start rejecting us for…

The next version of App Wrapper will have the ability to remove the resource forks.