Application for Retina

Hi,

I have client that has a MBP Retina display and i notice the font is blur.

How do i make sure the client don’t have problem with blur screen yet some other people using iMac are able to use the same program.

What do i need to solve this problem???

Trisha,
Have you tried this:

[code]// INSERT INTO A BUILD SCRIPT AND DRAG UNDER OS X IN THE BUILD SETTINGS AREA

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + “/”"" + CurrentBuildAppName + “.app”""
Call DoShellCommand("/usr/bin/defaults write " + App + “/Contents/Info ““NSHighResolutionCapable”” YES”)[/code]

Hope that helps.

is this only run on machine with retina display??
can i just run this on terminal??
if i update the app in future, do i need to do it again??

Include that script, and then every time you compile / build the app, the script will write to the .plist file.
Then, anyone with a retina screen will see clear text. Non retina screens will have the usual slight blurriness to them - especially if Yosemite is the OS.

thanks a lot…

No problem - glad I could help :slight_smile:

PS:
AppWrapper also has a checkbox, entitled “Force Retina Compatibility”, which when checked, performs the same function, without the build script.

we try it out when i install on a retina enabled macbook pro.

Dumb question… if that is the “solution”, then why doesn’t XOJO just DO that by default?

Dave, you are right… Xojo should just set to true since it does not matter if you don’t have a retina enabled display

I believe this solution only applies for text.
Images requires a lot more work, which is dealt with nicely via Sam’s Retina Kit.

how bad is the image?

How long is a piece of string :slight_smile:

Some people say images are very blurred on a retina system, whilst others say it is hardly noticeable.

The best way is to simply view your app on a retina enabled machine, and decide for yourself.
If you decide it is too blurry, then I recommend using Sam’s Retina Kit, which makes it extremely easy to display retina images on a retina machine, and normal images on a non-retina machine.

Hope that helped?

[quote=170125:@Richard Summers]How long is a piece of string :slight_smile:

Some people say images are very blurred on a retina system, whilst others say it is hardly noticeable.
…[/quote]
Yep. Size matters.

[quote=170122:@Richard Summers]I believe this solution only applies for text.
Images requires a lot more work, which is dealt with nicely via Sam’s Retina Kit.[/quote]

Images aren’t that difficult: just include them at 2x size and draw them at 50%. On Retina devices, they’ll use the full resolution.

Of course, doing it this way adds a slight overhead to non-Retina machines, so it’s not ideal for all images, especially animations where speed is critical. For those you may need to actually check for Retina and do different things for Retina and non-Retina.

But for simple images such as your app logo on a splash screen, this method is easy.

thanks Richard will just to have a look at the client macbook pro and have a look at the images… i am sure your answer will help.

The client didn’t complain about the text being blur, just that i notice it…

No problem :slight_smile:

It’s been brought up before. The statement from Xojo is that because Xojo IDE does not handle Retina they do not want to allow users to enable retina from the IDE because there could be problems. They don’t want to allow it as a feature until they’re sure it works. There’s a high-ranked feedback case for Retina.

[quote=170120:@Dave S]Richard Duke 9 hours ago Beta Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, London)
Dave, you are right… Xojo should just set to true since it does not matter if you don’t have a retina enabled display[/quote]
Because it’s not the complete solution, while you tell the OS to force the application into high resolution, Xojo’s traditional framework is not Retina Ready.

Add a Xojo picture to a menu item and you’ll see what I mean.

This is why I invested the time to research and develop the Retina Kit, so that when you’re using the Retina Kit it uses the correct APIs to make the graphical elements of Xojo controls Retina ready. (how many times can I say Retina in one sentence, maybe not enough for Google).

[quote=170108:@Richard Summers]Trisha,
Have you tried this:

// INSERT INTO A BUILD SCRIPT AND DRAG UNDER OS X IN THE BUILD SETTINGS AREA

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + “/”"" + CurrentBuildAppName + “.app”""
Call DoShellCommand("/usr/bin/defaults write " + App + “/Contents/Info ““NSHighResolutionCapable”” YES”)
Hope that helps.[/quote]

You can also create a text file called “Info.plist” with the contents:

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

NSHighResolutionCapable [/code] and drag the file into the project. Any key/value pairs in the dict will be added at build time. You can add other keys if needed in the future.