Application crashes before load

Hello,

Been writing in Xojo for several months but just got my license. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to deploy a networking app to a Windows XP machine. I did the compile, copied the exe with the “Libs” folder, and copied all the files from the “Windows Universal Runtime” as detailed here. Even ran the VC_Redist.x86.exe installer on the target machine.

But it always crashes with this error:

Any idea what I’m missing from the dependencies?

Xojo apps built with 2016r1, which require the Windows Universal Runtime, will not run on Windows XP. Windows Vista SP2 is still supported, but that support has been deprecated: Xojo System Requirements

You may want to contact custserv@xojo.com to ask if you can use your current license with an older version of Xojo that supports XP.

WOW, that’s really surprising that XP support is discontinued, as it’s still the third most popular operating system out there. The entire office I’m contracting for is running XP. And yes I just checked, my license will not install on any prior versions. I’m disappointed, to say the least. Will see if customer service can help. But in the meantime, I would greatly encourage Xojo to reconsider this position.

The latest Xojo with XP support is Xojo 2015 Release 2.4

Indeed XP is still here, but nevertheless declining little by little. I doubt it is still 30%.

According to Netmarketshare, based on Web analytics (actual usage, more accurate than simple installation), XP is only 10.9%. Windows 10 has already overtaken XP with 14.15, while Windows 7 has the lion share with 51.89%.

It is true that for people who have been using Xojo for a while, it is easy to revert to 2015R2.4 to generate an executable that runs on XP, but one cannot live in the past.

AFAIK keeping support for XP would have prevented support for more recent features like 64 bit and HiDPI for instance.

I am not discounting Christian Wheel’s issue and really hope Xojo will enable him to use 2015R2.4 so he can satisfy his client.

We looked at the desktop operating system numbers for our users just in the past week as I wanted to transition our legacy data migration tool to 2016r1. Our main product is a web app so fortunately the OS breakdown is easily collected and I suggest is more in line with actual usage. Windows 7 is on top with 54.54% followed by Windows 10 on 25.51%. Windows Vista, our new “minimum” supported OS, is only used by 0.97% of our users and Windows XP is used by just 0.77% of our users. So I agree with Michel; that 30% number for XP quoted above is surprising.

From Microsoft in 2014: Windows XP Support has ended

Xojo 2015r2.4 or earlier still supports building for XP and can download it from our web site.

1. Log into your Account at Xojo.com
  2. Click Downloads and then Archived Releases

[quote=259109:@Paul Lefebvre]From Microsoft in 2014: Windows XP Support has ended

Xojo 2015r2.4 or earlier still supports building for XP and can download it from our web site.

1. Log into your Account at Xojo.com
  2. Click Downloads and then Archived Releases[/quote]

But Paul, @Christian Wheel just got his license. Will he be able to use older versions ?

Having resided in Central Africa for a while (Cameroon), I know local markets can be somewhat different, and many machines currently used in Cyber Cafs there may not support much more than Vista.

So these markets may indeed require XP.

Likewise, there are places where people simply don’t want to upgrade their machines until the become dust. If they did the same with cars, it would look like Havana :wink:

That does not mean Xojo should stay in the past for the developed countries. On the contrary, it should embrace the future. In the Windows world, it is the New API Application Model for Windows 8.x and Windows 10, and we are still quite for from it.

I read an article recently that it’s still 1 in 10 running XP and that XP has more market share than El Crapitan

I try not to speak for customer service, but my understanding is that older versions are available to current license holders.

[quote=259112:@Michel Bujardet]
That does not mean Xojo should stay in the past for the developed countries. On the contrary, it should embrace the future. In the Windows world, it is the New API Application Model for Windows 8.x and Windows 10, and we are still quite for from it.[/quote]

For us, perpetuating support for XP literally held us back from moving to newer tools & API’s

I just pulled these stats from my system a few minutes ago. It is recent access to a 3PL system I am responsible for. The stats are a bit skewed by the fact that most of the users are corporate users of our clients and not general public.