Apple Configurator 2

Anyone have any experience installing your iOs apps using Apple Configurator 2?
I’m not trying to deploy, only test on my phone itself.

It seems to download, but when i click on the app on the phone, it just moves to “installing” and never changes.

Any help?

Why don’t you just copy your app to your phone using Xcode?

I haven’t used Xcode for a reason so far, but I recognize I may have to get into it.
I was under the impression that I could locally copy my app to my iPhone to test using Apple Configurator without a bunch of apple development account/setup.

Have things changed, or did I just get this all wrong?

You can but the new Apple Configurator is not quite as simple as the old one.

At least when it comes to quickly deploying a single app.

I ended up paying the $99 and am using Xcode to copy it over.
That was tricky too. It ended up requiring that I did a build of an empty project one time to debug on my iPhone, from within Xcode, before I could show the team in XOJO.

would be nice if someone tried the method with apple configurator 2 and succeded to explain us the requirements …

I just tried Apple Configurator 2. The UI has changed a bit from the first version, but it is still pretty easy to use:

1. Double-click your device.
  2. Click Add.
  3. Select your app.

That’s pretty much it.

However, you still have to configure the certificates and profiles as described in the docs before you can use Apple Configurator:

In my testing I’ve found the Xcode Devices window to be much quicker for installing apps onto devices.

Yep. I have been using Apple Configurator v1 for about a year. I just tried v2 and it’s pretty easy as Paul explained. I like the UI more and it feels like there are fewer steps. For example, v1 would remember the last app you loaded which might be great for people administering apps in a corporate environment but not so good for developers as that app it remember was the actual build of that app. Therefore, to install an updated build, you had to delete the app from Configurator and add back the new one. Version 1 would also not delete the existing version of your app from your iPhone. Deleting first was a step I often forgot so I’d think I updated to test a new version only to find I had not.

Version 2 asks if you want to replace the existing app or not which is nice. I have two complaints. First, when you click the Add button, a dialog appears but you can’t drag your app into that dialog. You have to click Choose from My Mac to get an open file dialog which you then can drag into. Second, the syncing process takes longer than v1.

I simply couldn’t’ get v2 to work.
I’m pleased with Xcode, but would be happiest if i didn’t have any 3rd party app outside of Xojo to use.

If you want to give Apple feedback about Configurator, you can do so from the Application menu.

[quote=233306:@Chris Halford]I simply couldn’t’ get v2 to work.
I’m pleased with Xcode, but would be happiest if i didn’t have any 3rd party app outside of Xojo to use.[/quote]
Chris, did Paul’s steps not work for you? If the didn’t, it’s likely a profile problem.

See no point to give apple feedback for Configurator. Now that have Xcode configured, it’s working just fine. Very fast.

@Geoff Perlman no those steps don’t work for me.

so even if you use apple configurator, you still have to provide a certificate, so buy a $99 apple developper program ?
I thought everybody can now send an app to a local iphone …?

[quote=233346:@Jean-Yves Pochez]so even if you use apple configurator, you still have to provide a certificate, so buy a $99 apple developper program ?
I thought everybody can now send an app to a local iphone …?[/quote]

Is that right? Have you been able to send an app to an iPhone without being in the Developer Program? If so, tell me how. That saves me at least $99, which I can spend on valuable Xojo Plugins :wink:

Xcode provides a free provisioning profile for this purpose. Although we didn’t think it would work, it turns out that you can also use this provisioning profile with Xojo. I just got it to work moments ago.

There are lots of limitations, however. I have about 14 steps that are involved, most of which have to be done within Xcode itself. And it has to be Xcode 7. Plus, you have to go through these steps for each and every app you want to deploy to your device.

I’ll get the steps written up and added to the docs (with screenshots) in the next day or so.

wow @Paul Lefebvre that’s awesome. But it seems to be a bit easier (read: 14 steps easier) to just enroll in Apple’s Developer Program.

was claimed by apple with 10.11 and xcode 7 installed …?

Here are the steps to use the free Provisioning Profile: