Apple complaints thread

What a shambles that was. Every man and his dog who had run the betas told MS the thing was not going to fly. I don’t normally do that sort of thing but I myself posted several times on Sinofsky’s blog telling him so. But he was censoring critical posts left right and centre. Well he got turfed out chop-chop but it took a bit longer for that used-car salesman Ballmer to get turfed out. Two Steves gone and Windows started returning to sanity.

[quote=267394:@Daniel Taylor]Unified code base? Yes. Unified UI? Not entirely. As you noted with Windows 10 there are separate presentations of common features on the desktop and on mobile.

My fear is a desktop UI that swings too far towards a tablet (i.e. Win8). They truly are different devices targeted at different needs.

Hopefully Apple will strike the right balance. At which point you are correct that they will present it as the next big thing ;-)[/quote]

With Windows 10, as long as they are real Universal Windows App (not converted from win32 desktop), they are unified code base and unified UI - really one code that runs on any Universal Windows Platform. They are easily done with Adaptive UI trigger, Split Panel, Relative Panel, Stack Panel. There are tutorial videos on Channel 9 and Microsoft Virtual Academy that show how this is done. Unfortunately, VS 2015 required.

The screen capture of the Windows 10 Money app done on my desktop. The triggers I note are when the screen sizes are:

1. 1280

2. 800 and < 1280

3. < 800

Of course these triggers can be set by the programmer for their own app to suit.

On my Lumia 640 XL Windows 10 Mobile, the Money app runs full screen (all app run fullscreen on Windows phone) and the smallest screen layout in the screenshot.

No, this is not an useless feature. It is an IMPORTANT feature, but for an happy few number of people only :frowning: Grrrrrr…

Same for the gals/guys who decided to wait so many months (once we’re habbits with that terrible interface) to make a revert !

If you made a mistake, repair it fast… faster… immediately ! Do not wait weeks, months, years ?

Imagine how stupid they can be (Apple):

someone (certainly a big wig) decided to modify the use of the zoom button (you know, the green circle on the left who now display an image full screen…). Now, you have to click twice in a window’s title bar to get the zoom effect !

Guess how many times (if you knew before reading it above) you will waste until this will be burned in your mind ?

You can stil use the green button.
Hold the Option key and press the green button. :wink:

This is called Responsive design, has been used for a while in Web design, and I intend to bring it to RubberViews this year, so Xojo apps will have exactly the same adaptive possibilities.

This confirms what I wrote above : Web design influences more and more the way GUIs are conceived.

True. But they also tend to be functionally poor compared to classic UIs. I don’t care for the web inspired trends in user interfaces at all. They can be very pretty. But also limited, cumbersome, and confusing.

What works visually for primarily static content (the web) does not necessarily work for complicated functionality (applications). But the web is massive and highly influential. Mobile sits in between the two worlds and is also a large influence towards dumbed down and pretty. So there is a push every where, even at Apple, to ignore tried and true interface guidelines.

Which brings me back to my concern that Apple will compromise OS X and OS X apps in the name of consistency with platforms that are limited by nature (mobile; web).

[quote=267420:@Paul Sondervan]You can stil use the green button.
Hold the Option key and press the green button. ;)[/quote]
Sure you “can”… but that is not what is “intuitive”… the Option Key should be for FULL SCREEN, (ie. the opposite of what it is now),
-OR-
at least give the users the OPTION of selecting how they wish it to work … heck I can choose which button is my “left” button, why can’t I choose which way the “green ball” works?

[quote=267527:@Dave S]Sure you “can”… but that is not what is “intuitive”… the Option Key should be for FULL SCREEN, (ie. the opposite of what it is now),
-OR-
at least give the users the OPTION of selecting how they wish it to work … heck I can choose which button is my “left” button, why can’t I choose which way the “green ball” works?[/quote]
Which was my complaint, I hardly ever actually use full screen, I do however like to have my window expanded to fill the screen (I’m old school, I like menu bars).

Apple should have given us the option, even today I keep accidentally making the window go ‘Full Screen’ when that’s not what I want. 20 years of muscle memory takes time to replace, all the while I get pissed off because I have to undo and then try again.[quote=267511:@Daniel Taylor]Which brings me back to my concern that Apple will compromise OS X and OS X apps in the name of consistency with platforms that are limited by nature (mobile; web).[/quote]
This is already happening IMHO, look at Full Screen mode, or Apple’s Photos which replaced Aperture. The “Notifications” sidebar where panels have iOS interfaces. “Weather would like to use your location”.

The slow decay of Final Cut, all the while iMovie still gets updates. The Mac Pro hasn’t been updated in what, some say 3 years. Apple even updated the iPad instead of the MacBook Air.

I don’t think for one minute that Apple would truly give up on the Mac, but it certainly feels like a third class citizen in Apple’s eyes.

Actually this has gotten me thinking, and I have an idea on how we as developers might be able to offer this within our applications. It’s just an idea at the moment, when I get some time, I’ll give it a go and see if I can come up with a solution.

No sure it is a matter of consistency. It is more a matter of what users are accustomed to. I believe they will eventually create with their credit card a trend toward a new metaphor that parts from the 30+ desktop one. I have seen back in the nineties how customers decided to embrace en masse the desktop metaphor and dumped Lotus 1-2-3, WordStar or dBase for Microsoft Office.

Pretty does not have to be poor, though.

This is a little app called “BETTER TOOLS” the reverts the operation back to “normal”, but it cost like $10, which while it does do “other” things, the green ball was all I cared about

Dave:

In this case, this is not the $10 that will “hurt” me, but the fact they patch the OS.

After Dark, one day, crashed my MacOS… Since then, I am reluctant to add these things to my computer.

One interested stuff is … this is possible !

[quote=267527:@Dave S]Sure you “can”… but that is not what is “intuitive”… the Option Key should be for FULL SCREEN, (ie. the opposite of what it is now),
-OR-
at least give the users the OPTION of selecting how they wish it to work … heck I can choose which button is my “left” button, why can’t I choose which way the “green ball” works?[/quote]
I totally agree with you.
I almost never use full screen and preferred the old use of the green button.

My comment was only to point out to Emile Schwarz that the green button still can be used.

[quote=267559:@Emile Schwarz]Dave:

In this case, this is not the $10 that will “hurt” me, but the fact they patch the OS.

After Dark, one day, crashed my MacOS… Since then, I am reluctant to add these things to my computer.

One interested stuff is … this is possible ![/quote]
Don’t get me wrong… I wasn’t saying you SHOULD use that app, just indicating it was available, as a band-aid to what Apple should have done in the first place.

If you set in Open

self.MaxWidth = Screen(0).AvailableWidth self.MaxHeight = screen(0).AvailableHeight

Your app window will simply maximize.

[quote=267615:@Michel Bujardet]If you set in Open

self.MaxWidth = Screen(0).AvailableWidth self.MaxHeight = screen(0).AvailableHeight

Your app window will simply maximize.[/quote]

doesn’t help with every other OSX app… this isn’t making “our” apps do it… its the fact that Apple took the option away

Indeed. Could be part of the move towards iOS/Web full page mode.

I am afraid we haven’t seen the end of the iOSification of OS X.

10.11.6 tonight. How many points are we going to have ?