Apple App Store and "Words"

Be very careful what words you use in your apps submitted for Apple approval be they desktop or iOS. I recently submitted a game app where one screen prominently displayed the word “MEMORY” (this sub-game was a “pairs matching” game).

It was REJECTED due to

Seriously? Whats next, sue Dictionary.Com for posting “MEMORY” on their website?

Has anyone else run across this type of stupid rejection? if so, what was your response? outcome?

Google Adwords the same.
I have an app which has Mac- as a prefix. (and another that starts with Win)

Google rejected the advert because it contained the word Mac.
Their loss, but as I said to them at the time, if you want to advertise something specifically for use with a Mac, or a Ford, or a Fender, its pretty hard to do it with an ad of less than 30 words that doesn’t mention the brand

‘We have fancy tyres for cars that were originally made by a guy called Henry something… please click here…’

Just doesnt cut it…

Dave: looks like that particular scenario goes back to 2012:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/181499/Memory_board_game_trademark_threatens_several_iOS_games.php

I actually found references to this same company suing people way back in 2009!

A few other developers who ran into the same problem said Apple accepted their app once they removed Germany from the list of deployable locations… So that is what I did as well… now it is wait and see

perhaps I should trademark the words “RAVEN” and “BURGER”… sue them… and McDonalds, and Wendy’s, and Jack-in-the-Box etc.

The word “Memory” is the word of a very well known game; you guessed it “Memory” it’s simply logical for apple to not allow a game to have the same name as a game.

cant believe they let them trademark “memory” as that game (remembering pairs of items) has been played for a lot longer than their game has existed
I played it with playing cards as a kid so that well over 40+ years

oh well just remove germany from the list & see what happens
kind of nice they let you know about it in a way rather than not & let you get sued

In most parts of the world, you cannot “trademark” a common word or phrase.
For example… IBM (the 3 letters “I” “B” “M”) cannot be trademarked… but the STYLE in which they use it can.

And the APP Store contains well over 100 apps with MEMORY in the title… with several being just the one word… :slight_smile:
and in mine… it only appears on ONE of a few different game boards, not even in the app title

Remembery :stuck_out_tongue:

whoops
Remembery©™ :stuck_out_tongue:

In remembrance of common sense.

I was sued by them, too.
Costed over 1000 Euro.

The key thing is that in Germany memory is not a common word as it’s a different language…

[quote=247910:@Jeff Tullin]Google Adwords the same.
I have an app which has Mac- as a prefix. (and another that starts with Win)

Google rejected the advert because it contained the word Mac.[/quote]

Adword is largely overrated. Since I bumped it to the curb two years ago, my sales haven’t dropped a bit. I rather spend time optimizing my pages or placing an evaluation version on MacUpdate.

If you consider the price of their ultra-short messages and make the ratio, it is way more expensive than a full page ad in the New York Times.

[quote=247914:@Dave S]And the APP Store contains well over 100 apps with MEMORY in the title… with several being just the one word… :slight_smile:
and in mine… it only appears on ONE of a few different game boards, not even in the app title[/quote]

I would appeal to death, arguing that memory is a common word and as such cannot be claimed as exclusive when used in a different context. That said, “memory” has synonyms… Or, you can use the word in lowercase. The trademark is “Memory”. Not “memory”. Or “Your memory” is not trademarked.

Add to that some legalese explaining that you are not affiliated with Ravensburger Digital GmbH and that the software is not produced by Ravensburger Digital GmbH prominently displayed where needed.

You mean like “Apple”, “Windows”, “Wendy”, “Best Buy”, …

[quote=247916:@Norman Palardy]Remembery :stuck_out_tongue:

whoops
Remembery©™ :P[/quote]

Ok so we should rename the MemoryBlocks to ByteBlocks …:wink:

i’d call the game BitFlip

@Jeff Tullin you can contact Apple’s legal department, sign an agreement to get Authorization to use the term Mac in advertising, which you can then show to Google.

However last time we tried to use the term ‘Mac’ on the Mac App Store, they wouldn’t let us. Even though we have permission from their legal department.

It’s a bit like Samsung Securities (the financial arm), actively suggests avoiding investing in Samsung Electronics!

Thanks Sam.
I took the view that Google were just being stupid. I would like to think it didnt cost me a single sale… I pulled the ad.

Last night I forgot to add that my latest app update has been rejected due to being invalid. I’m trying to get blood out of stone, I mean figure out what Invalid means. Apple don’t seem to want to tell me.

What’s odd is that it never made it into review, I uploaded it on the 12th, it sat in processing until the 17th and was then rejected as being invalid.

I’ve double checked, triple checked and I can find nothing wrong with the app it’s self, so I contacted ITMS and am awaiting some form of response that might provide insight as to why my latest app is not allowed on the App Store.

I seem to recall something like that. Have you tried to just increase the Increment version by one, and reload it?

Indeed I did, on the 15th. This build was also rejected on the 17th for being invalid.

Don’t forget, United Parcel Service trademarked the color Brown ten years ago, just imagine what happens when they decide to sue.