App Wrapper Fails?!? or Xojo Build Fails?!?

I’ve been building and signing my Lightwright app for macOS and Windows for many, many years. On Mac, it’s a Universal build and I’m running Xojo 2021 Release 3.1 on an M1Max MBP with Monterey 12.3.1 and Xcode 13.3.

Today, I built a new release as usual, and when I tried to sign it with the current version of App Wrapper 4, it failed with these messages:

failed Failed to reset permissions 755
failed Failed, options: 193
failed Lightwright 6.0.44.445 Beta.app/Contents/Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework (for architecture arm64): No such file or directory

And as expected from AppWrapper’s messages, Apple rejected it with “invalid package”.

I looked into the package contents, and didn’t see anything obviously missing, and I compared the package contents with a build I did a couple of weeks ago and they have all the same files, including the XojoFramework.

Did Xojo fail to build the app properly?!? I’m running Xojo 2021 Release 3.1, the same version I’ve been using for weeks without any problems. I also tried building using the beta of Xojo 2022 R1, with the same results from App Wrapper.

I’m baffled. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is failing now? Is the Xcode version a problem (it might have updated recently)?

Thanks!

Monterey 12.3 introduced new App Wrapper breaking bugs. The current beta works around them (as there is no fix, but to replace a system I built atop Apple’s framework).

So far it looks like this beta is good, so it the official release will be Monday or Tuesday.

3 Likes

Wow! I don’t know how you keep up with all of this, but I’m sure glad you do! Thank you for having a solution at hand, I look forward to giving the beta a spin and the final release next week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I always hope Apple won’t, one day, make changes making Sam’s AppWrapper no longer maintainable (e.g. a change where only Apple’s tools can work).

2 Likes

Surely, Sam is using the Apple tools under the hood.

Sam uses Apple’s APIs directly. Public APIs, some nebulous that he carefully tries to decipher when they show up, but public. If one day Apple desires, they can make Sam’s life (and Xojo’s) a hell using private APIs and hidden features that only Apple tooling could carry under the hood.

No matter what they do he could just call their tools to perform the tasks, the value in the product is knowing what to call, in what order and an easy interface for doing it.

What Arnoud may imply is that Apple ones may only allow Xcode to be the tool to develop and sign macOS and iOS apps. Knowing Apple, this is certainly possible (All for safety’s sake).
Future will tell…

I’m almost sure It does things in a hybridize way. His product does a deep inspection of structures, looks for problems and fixes them before it happens as setting right permissions or removing residual content that blocks operations, talks to Apple servers guessing for specific issues, etc.So it does much more than just calling tools in a sequence.

Which is fine. I wasn’t making little of what it does. I was saying if it only did that it would still be worth while product.

For Sam, it does what it would. For us, it does what with people using just Apple tooling can’t.