App video preview pesky iTunes Connect

Here it is : for 5.5" devices, an app video preview must be 1080 x 1920.

So I painfully went through using Quicktime to capture the simulator, then used ffmpeg to create a 1080 x 1920 .MOV. When I look at the info for the movie, it is indeed 1080 x 1920.

Now when I try to drop that into the appropriate box, that nasty iTunes connect tells me the video should be either 1920 x 1080, or 1080 x 1920.

Has anybody jumped successfully through that hoop who can help ?

TIA

PS : iOS apps require a LOT more work to place in the store than OS X ones.

Camtasia Studio and Screenflow both have a new feature that will take iOS video for you. I’m a fan of ScreenFlow (use it for all my videos). I haven’t upgraded yet but the video requirement will force me sooner rather than later.

I have read about ScreenFlow in some forums. I will see if they have a trial I can evaluate. But my issue was less the capture of the simulator itself than being able to submit the exact format iTunes Connect is expecting.

After some tribulations, I finally found iSkySoft Video Editor for Mac which enabled me to edit it as well (30 seconds is not a lot max duration), and to generate it exactly to the right format. Then it went into iTunes like a charm.

It is not free, but sometimes there are economies that become expensive. Let alone in aggravation

http://www.iskysoft.com/video-editor-mac.html

Well, right. Both of those products, to the best of my knowledge, will export to the proper formats for the iOS App Store with zero configuration.

I have found ScreenFlow’s web site, and seen they have an evaluation version. It is a bit late and I have been struggling long enough with that problem for today. I will check that out tomorrow. Thank you.

Are you sure the message is totally about the dimensions and not about the format?
Here’s a link to the video specifications just in case.
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Appendices/Properties.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011225-CH26-SW14

.mov must be encoded with H.624 or ProRes when you export it. Apple says iMovie has an preset for app previews with all the right settings.

+1 for Screenflow. The Telestream team are fantastic to work with and Screenflow 5 adds some great new features.

[quote=153883:@Tim Parnell]Are you sure the message is totally about the dimensions and not about the format?
Here’s a link to the video specifications just in case.
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Appendices/Properties.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011225-CH26-SW14

.mov must be encoded with H.624 or ProRes when you export it. Apple says iMovie has an preset for app previews with all the right settings.[/quote]

I am aware of that page. You mean H.264 BTW ?

It was indeed a question of size. But that is not quite all. The video now uploads fine, I am able to select the preview frame. But when I click “Save”, it churns for a while, before saying “these settings have not been saved”, then the page displays “You have not changed anything”. It looks terribly much like a bug with the iTunes Connect site, now, more than a problem with the tools used to create the video.

Numbers… Not a fan :stuck_out_tongue:
My only other guess is to use an app like iMovie, Screenflow, or FCP and use the app store preset.