App signed or not?

I’ve got some customers complaining that my app isn’t signed. But I have certificates and apply them. Before releasing my app I make sure that the certificates did their thing:

codesign -dvvvv /Users/beatrixwillius/Documents/\ Datei/Development/Mail\ Archiver\ old\ versions/Mail\ Archiver\ X\ 3.1\ beta\ 8/Mail\ Archiver\ X.app
Executable=/Users/beatrixwillius/Documents/ Datei/Development/Mail Archiver old versions/Mail Archiver X 3.1 beta 8/Mail Archiver X.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail Archiver X
Identifier=com.mothsoftware.mailarchiverx
Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (i386)
CodeDirectory v=20200 size=111414 flags=0x0(none) hashes=5563+3 location=embedded
Hash type=sha1 size=20
CDHash=252fe6066431a11a90c182b184b6183ead98441d
Signature size=4342
Authority=3rd Party Mac Developer Application: Beatrix Willius
Authority=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Signed Time=14.07.2014 07:54:33
Info.plist entries=15
TeamIdentifier=72695Z3887
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=789
Internal requirements count=1 size=200

So why do customers complain that the app isn’t signed? The setup is a bit more complicated because I have a helper app, a main app and an installer I did myself. But I use the same build scripts for all apps:

dim AppLocation as String = CurrentBuildLocation + “/” + getShellString(CurrentBuildAppName) + “.app”

dim cmd as String = "codesign -f --deep -s ‘3rd Party Mac Developer Application: Beatrix Willius’ " + AppLocation
dim theOutput as string = doShellCommand(cmd)
if theOutput <> “” then print theOutput

function getShellString(theString as String) as string
Return ReplaceAll(theString, " ", "\ ")
end Function

What is going on?

Did you get your certificate from Apple? I did and the Common Name for the application signing certificate is prefixed with “Developer ID Application:”. Yours has the prefix “3rd Party Mac Developer Application:” which is why I asked the question.

Are you using the latest version of codesign that comes with the Command Line Tools for OS X Mavericks from Apple? Coincidentally, there is a new release today, July 21st.

Are all three Xojo apps (your installer, main and helper apps) receiving messages related to not being signed?

I realize that I have just asked a lot of questions and not provided any answers but am hoping that the answers help you, me or someone else to solve your problem.

Hi Frederick,

thanks for asking the question. I think I got it now. The codesign command isn’t the correct one and I’m not signing the dylibs - I thought I had done that but it’s not there.

Glad to hear it!

Beatrix,
I normally don’t like to tout my own wares, but in this I really think it will help. Check out App Wrapper or App Wrapper Mini, I spend a great deal of time making sure that my wrapping apps keep up with Apple’s changes.

However I understand that there are many developers who like to do things themselves, so I won’t be offended if you don’t.

I’ve got AppWrapper. Actually, either I’m getting senile or I managed to loose my changes because I KNEW I had to sign the libraries.

40+ is senile, I see it at myself.

wow

I’m apparently ready for the grave or something then :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps the cold canadian air does better preservation than the humid air here in Germany :slight_smile:

And yes, 40+ is having too many senior moments.