App Building Issue

Hey all,

I’m trying to build an app for iOS and am getting an error. Xojo is telling me I need a development profile to build an application. But I already have one. I am seeing a number of other forum posts about this and I have read some of those. But Xode is telling me the following:

This iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2nd generation) (Model A1821, A1671) is running iOS 13.3.1 (17D50), which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.

Is that possibly why I am having this issue? Do I need to upgrade Code? I’m running Xcode 9.4.1.

Or is it some other reason?

Thanks,

Jon

Depending on the version of Xojo you are using, you will need to update to Xcode 10.x or later.

And if the app is for the App Store, you need to build against the iOS 13 sdk, which requires Xojo 2019r3 or later, and Xcode 11 or later.
https://docs.xojo.com/UserGuide:Xcode_Setup

I’m not building for the store yet. I am running Xojo 2019 R3.1

Are you using an explicit BundleID? They are required now

Well, the bundle ID on the certificate is a wildcard. The bundle ID in the app is specific.

That’s the issue. Both IDs need to be specific

Why are wildcards no longer allowed? I just followed Xojo’s documentation…

It’s not that they are not allowed. The IDE sometimes (ok, usually) has trouble matching wildcard profile IDs against specific app IDs.

Well, I removed the wildcard certificate and created an app specific one. I am still getting the same error.

Well, I have deleted and recreated my provisioning profile multiple times. I’ve deleted and re-created my certificate. Xojo still doesn’t think I have a provisioning profile. I am dead in the water until I get this fixed and I have a client who is patiently waiting for his app to be developed.

Xojo - need some support here…

Did you upgrade Xcode to version 11.x?

I see no reason in keeping a 2 year old version of Xcode unless you are developing for a device that doesn’t support iOS 10.

1 Like

No because I am running High Sierra and Xcode 11 doesn’t support it. I may be forced to upgrade but I’ve been holding off upgrading my MacOS for several years now for various reasons. I’m honestly scared to death about all the desktop OS restrictions Apple keeps adding.

Well, it’s not surprising that I can’t get the app to build. Xojo’s iOS framework is such a hack to begin with. It’s bug ridden. Lacks multiple features, etc. It’s surprising we can do anything with it. So it really is no surprise that people have trouble building apps. Par for the course.

I do not agree with you.
I have successfully released 12 iOS apps using Xojo, and delivered 4 more to customers. Some features might be missing but overall the Xojo iOS framework is functional. I have several million downloads and all apps have over 4.5+ ratings/reviews.

Maybe Xojo just isn’t the right tool for you, and you will certainly figure that the obvious solution with any other tool is to upgrade Xcode.

Anyway, you have a long track of complaining about the iOS framework, I won’t bother anymore as you seem to ignore the most obvious solution(s).

5 Likes

I’m happy to discuss it but when you spend half your time working around bugs and the other half trying to figure out who has a routine to do something that Xojo left out, it’s not all that functional. If it wasn’t for guys like you who added all this extra stuff, the framework would be quite useless. Let’s see what are we missing or bugs:

UDP class
Open Events don’t fire on controls when you programmatically add them
Can’t view contents of iOSRecordSets in the debugger
Debugging information is relatively worthless
Segmented Control crashes when you try to programmatically modify it (William has fixed this after I reported it)
Plenty of other stuff.

I am extremely grateful for the individuals who have made add-on routines/methods to make this all work better. Your stuff works quite well.

You say I ignore the most obvious solutions. What is that? Please tell me what I am ignoring. Yes, I’m not running the latest Xcode version. I explained why. But why should the prevent Xojo from seeing the provisioning profile.

Oh yeah and then you have all the wonderful crashes that happen from exceptions that the framework fails to catch. This then forces you to reboot the simulator device.

For one thing, Apple has changed the format of how you access profiles and simulators at least three times since we added the iOS target. What that means is that we have to go in, figure out whatever they changed and tweak the IDE to support little changes which have at times been as simple as switching a flag from 1 and 0 to true and false in a JSON response or as complicated as switching from device names to a UUID that’s referenced elsewhere in Xcode.

I’m very sorry this isn’t meeting your expectations, but I think you’ll have better luck with iOS if you have an up-to-date OS and Xcode regardless of whether you use Xojo or Xcode to build your apps.

Just out of curiosity… did you go into Xcode Preferences and download your profiles to your machine?

This is what annoys me the most to be honest. I have an app in TestFlight at the moment and almost all the users have crashes which cannot be reproduced. One comment from a user was “I was just looking at the table and then it crashed”. Another user said “I probably scrolled the table too fast”. I have no chance to find out what the problem is.

You should be able to see these crash reports in Xcode > Window Menu > Organizer > Crash reports

1 Like