Anyone use iceberg?

Does anyone use iceberg for their package builds?

I had to start over with a new mac and I have a backup of my projects but when I downloaded iceberg 1.3.1 and open my projects…there is nothing there and no error reported. I suspect it can’t find some file perhaps but I thought from before it would show that file in red if it couldn’t find it.

I am trying to find an older version of iceberg to try. If you have one please let me know. I did not have a backup of my apps.

The iceberg website says it is really a plist file and a plist editor should be able to at least open it.
I bought a plist editor from the app store and it won’t even recognize the file to open it.

Any suggestions of an app that can at least read it… if so I can run down the list of files used in there including images and restore them all to the exact locations… that’s the only thing I can think of right now.

I also tried renaming the file with ending .plist just to see if that made any difference. Plist editor says “this file is not in the right format”.

Try something like BBEdit to see if that will open it. There is a free version of BBEdit now

Um…if you need a plist editor Xcode has one built-in.

Or a HexEditor. Are you sure you have the correct file?

I remember having tried Iceberg many moons ago. I’ll have a look tomorrow if I can find anything.

We used to use Iceberg, now we use Packages, which is from the same author, but newer:

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html

I did try BBEdit but it just looks like binary.

Oh I will try that. Do you know if Packages imports the iceberg files?

I will find one and try this too… If you can check your downloads and see if you have an older version… I’d really appreciate it. I’ve emailed Stephane but have not heard from him yet.

[quote=386765:@Tim Turner]I did try BBEdit but it just looks like binary.

Oh I will try that. Do you know if Packages imports the iceberg files?

I will find one and try this too… If you can check your downloads and see if you have an older version… I’d really appreciate it. I’ve emailed Stephane but have not heard from him yet.[/quote]

Try archive.org. For example, here is the download page from 2011:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110707202603/http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html

Also, not sure if Packages can open Iceberg files… But worth a shot trying it. Either way, you should definitely consider using Packages from now on as it is a newer and better solution.

OK I installed Xcode and tried File Open and File Open Quickly… both said that file is not in the right format.

Trying Packages as well as old Iceberg version next…

I suspect that Iceberg is too dated to work with modern OS X. What OS is your mac running?

Like others, after using Iceberg for years I now use Packages for my apps, and it works great.

I deleted the old iceberg because pkg installed kept saying "Iceberg can’t be installed on this disk. A newer version of this software already exists on this disk. "

I found the uninstall script and ran all of that using sudo in terminal.

Also restarted the mac after all that.

Still get that it can’t be installed on this disk. This must be a snippet somewhere telling OS that it is still here.

I am still on old Yosemite 10.10.5. Long story. But Iceberg ran on it before I had to reinstall OS and start over. Hard drive was going wonky.

I will try Packages to see if it can open the Iceberg project. My guess is maybe not because otherwise last Iceberg version would have opened it.

Packages does not open old Iceberg files. Or at least not mine.

Is there a tool that logs everything that an installer does on a Mac?
if so I could use that to log everything my last good installer did.

I know I had a script or two at the end that had to deal with something and I forget what it was… and also can’t find the script.

Got the script from the resources of my existing last known good package file.

I’ve just started using Packages and trying to rebuild my installers that way from scratch. Just could avoided all of this work if I could have gotten all my iceberg projects working. It’s for the better in the long run anyway I am sure as Packages is more up-to-date.

For those that use Packages…

I have a project done but when I do the Build and run it I get “The installation failed” with no errors or explanation.

I checked the Console and don’t see anything related that jumps out.

There is a Build and Debug option but I don’t see any messages from that either.

I will go back and read the documentation but if any Packages “experts” could give me some direction on debugging this I would be eternally grateful :slight_smile: