Anyone starting out a new app? How should I monetize it?

Hi!

I wonder if you agree if one of the best ways to monetize an app (other than of course having it as a Paid App) is to integrate survey walls or offer walls within an app?

If yes, why?
If no, what do you think is? :slight_smile:

Would really appreciate all your suggestions & opinions on this.

As a end-user, I much prefer to just pay for the program instead of being targeted with ads, having to jump through hoops and/or get nickelled and dime to death (micro-transactions)…

As a developer, I’m probably of no help as I release to the public domain…

If you never sold software before, start by completing your app, and look at distribution channels such as Mac App Store, Windows Store, Amazon. No need to flood users with garbage.

Personally, I find spamware apps to be unusable. Pure and simple trash.

If I install a trial app and the app starts flooding me with advertisement, I immediately uninstall the app and place the developer on my black list. Good luck coming out of the black list, too! On the other hand, if I try an app that is genuinely useful and respectful of my computer, my desktop and my preferences (popup blocker, notifications, etc), I have no objection paying the fair price to the developer.

When I am happy about a product or service, I tell all my friends. If I am unhappy with a product or service, I tell everyone. It is your choice: black list, or good word of mouth?

Maybe I’m cynical but this is the OPs first post: is this spam?

Now that you mention it… it does read that way doesn’t it

It could be a plug for OfferDaddy, but they did as a valid question as lots of software out there is now based on “monetizing” instead of sales…

Depending on which side of your morning coffee you are (before or after) will depend on your view of the OPÂ’s question. Before my coffee I would agree it was SPAM-like. But now that I have had (partial) cup of joe, I am reading it as a legitimate question.

Personally I prefer to pay a one-time fee for software. I donÂ’t want SaaS. I donÂ’t want micro-transactions. I donÂ’t want ADs/SPAM.

This is why I have migrated most of my Photographer customers over to Affinity Photo from Adobe Photoshop. Photo is a one-time reasonable cost application with free camera updates (new camera models come out with new RAW formats which you have to have update to the Photo/Photoshop app to be able to read them). Photoshop is a SaaS now. something like $10-$20/month. And the minute you quite paying you canÂ’t access the app anymore.

And I know you are asking Why not all the Photographers? simple I have one client that is an ex-Rocket/Airplane Engineer and he thinks that he has to have the Photoshop as that is what all the magazines/blogs/websites of the professionals talk about. But it is just a common platform that everyone knows so that is why they use it. I will get off my soapbox about this special customer of mine. If you need a Photo editing software (like a Photoshop) try Affinity Photo. I am not a employee. I am not the owner. I am not affiliated in any way except I own a copy.

back to the topic at hand. There was two apps I downloaded yesterday to alter icons. both worked well. one was a free-to-try/pay-one-time to have app and the other was full of micro-transactions and ADs. the former I kept and the later one I deleted off my laptop in a heartbeat. And the second one might have had more functionality (based on description/website it did but I didnÂ’t get that far before I deleted it).

That model itself is starting to die. There is a growing outrage of iOS customers against spamware. Especially since some software is not even available without filthy advertisement.

When ad blockers have never been so popular, it makes sense consumers start pushing back against imbecile adware.[quote=371679:@scott boss]Photoshop is a SaaS now. something like $10-$20/month. And the minute you quite paying you canÂ’t access the app anymore.[/quote]

Photoshop Elements is still an app that does not require subscription.

BTW, I strongly suspect indeed the OP to be fishing to sell some filth.

As a developer you need to make money, as a user you want it to be clean elegant and the registration out of your face.

What ever you decide, give the user a clean, time limited experience where they can learn and enjoy your product.

The problem comes with perception of value, for 90% of people they think software should be free and some users will tolerate some advertising within the product, others will not, but if you’ve let them learn to love your product they will pay to remove the ads.

If you’re building a more powerful product for the desktop/laptop computer, advertising is a dead no. Instead consider an upgrade model, where you charge users for one or two years of updates. You have to keep updating, but all the time that customers feel they’re getting their monies worth they keep paying. Some will skip some versions. Make sure that existing customers can always update for a cheaper fee also.

The trouble with the modern software industry is that the competition has increased exponentially, which has taken the value out of software, and reduces any exposure that you can get.