Anyone know a Catalina Listbox drag workaround?

I filed a bug report on Listbox drag not working; you cannot drag a row from Listbox A to Listbox B; the items are recognised, but no drag icon is generated, and you cannot get a drop event to trigger subsequently. <https://xojo.com/issue/57786>

Does anyone know a workaround? I thought of detecting a mouse enter or mouse-up event on the second list I drag to, but that’s not working as neither events trigger until the mouse has been released after starting the drag from Listbox A.

Every Mac OS update something breaks with drag; it’s kind of a drag :wink:

Have you tried to add a dragpicture to the drag?

@Beatrix Willius: Yes, I did, but that doesn’t show either; the drag event just isn’t triggered correctly.

The drag event is triggered correctly as far as I can see. I’m not sure what I do differently in my app because you gave me a fright and I had to test immediately. But there everything works fine. I do use a TableViewMBS though as dragger and a listbox as draggee.

@Beatrix Willius : As you can see in the project I included in the bug report I filed, it does not work. It seems to work, as the items are fine, but dragging outside the listbox does not work as on Mojave. I will see if TableViewMBS can provide a workaround, but this should not be needed and I don’t really want to use MBS plugins for even a basic thing as a drag and drop, no matter how great MBS plugins are.

I checked your project and it really doesn’t work there. The question is how important the bug is to you and how fast Xojo can fix it.

@Beatrix Willius : As users drag pictures from a list onto a canvas as one of the first steps, it is rather essential. My fear is that Xojo will have their hands full to fix other issues they consider more important. So I will try if I can use the TableViewMBS plugin as a temporary alternative. This is the third time a new Mac OS causes drag & drop issues for me. I blame Apple more than Xojo; the ridiculous principle of a new OS every year is surely frustrating for all developers, and for Xojo. But thank you for the tip on TableViewMBS.

No.

they need to roll one out when ready
not based on “oh hey its october !”

I believe it is one of the ways they do programmed obsolescence.

[quote=457319:@Boudewijn Krijger]I filed a bug report on Listbox drag not working; you cannot drag a row from Listbox A to Listbox B; the items are recognised, but no drag icon is generated, and you cannot get a drop event to trigger subsequently. <https://xojo.com/issue/57786>

Does anyone know a workaround? I thought of detecting a mouse enter or mouse-up event on the second list I drag to, but that’s not working as neither events trigger until the mouse has been released after starting the drag from Listbox A.

Every Mac OS update something breaks with drag; it’s kind of a drag ;-)[/quote]
What version of Xojo are you using? This should have been fixed in 2019r2.

@Greg O’Lone : I’m on 2019R2_FC4; as that was released one day before, I did not download the official release, as I’m bandwidth limited here.
But if you’re saying it was fixed in-between FC4 and Final, then I will. But I think it’s not, as Beatrix confirmed it did not work on her end either.

Hint:

How do Apple do to support new hardware (back at a time when October was often used to release new hardware) ?

Just like us, they do things when they have to do them.

Sometimes the things are done in a weird way…

[quote=457549:@Boudewijn Krijger]@Greg O’Lone : I’m on 2019R2_FC4; as that was released one day before, I did not download the official release, as I’m bandwidth limited here.
But if you’re saying it was fixed in-between FC4 and Final, then I will. But I think it’s not, as Beatrix confirmed it did not work on her end either.[/quote]
No. This would’ve been fixed earlier in the cycle.

A bug report with a sample project would be really helpful though. Be sure to include your OS version. A movie would be helpful too.

@Greg O’Lone : I did file a bug report and verified it still wasn’t working in the official 2019R2 release, yet the report was closed yesterday, for invalid reasons; I included a sample project that demonstrates the issue. Can someone please re-open this and confirm it is a bug? My customers are waiting.

<https://xojo.com/issue/57786>

The case is still closed. Make a movie as a proof of the failure as Stephane said he could not reproduce the artifact. Attach the example and the movie. Use your cell phone in case of not having a better tool to record the case.

And enhance the listbox2 drop event in your example to show some visual feedback like:

// Listbox2 Sub DropObject(obj As DragItem, action As Integer) Handles DropObject System.DebugLog "An object has been dropped on Listbox 2" me.AddRow obj.Text End Sub

Stephane Pinel confirmed the drag and drop example worked in Catalina. I would not call that “an invalid reason”. It would be a good way to verify the drag not working was not due to a bug in the code.