Anyone experiencing lot of crashes?

Being a longtime user of RealStudio I know its pretty stable. But Xojo is crashing every few minutes - even on simple things like calling the language reference or clicking on things in the IDE.

Anyone else experiencing this?

[quote=10362:@Shant Khatcherian]Being a longtime user of RealStudio I know its pretty stable. But Xojo is crashing every few minutes - even on simple things like calling the language reference or clicking on things in the IDE.

Anyone else experiencing this?

[/quote]

I don’t know if anyone external has, but we haven’t seen that before. What OS are you running?

Windows XP, but it isn’t much better on Windows 7. Classic IDE was far more reliable. Will try Oracle Linux 6.4 (RedHat derivative)…

Can you give a bit more detail? What service pack, 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.

32-bit Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.130307-0422)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4076MB RAM

What plugins?

Does this occur (usually) after you’ve run/built your app? Or can you reproduce this pretty much at any time? What’s probably happening is that you’re running out of memory (IDE consumes a lot, especially if you’ve run/built). It should be better if you’re running a 64-bit distro, or have PAE enabled.

Sometimes actually before building any apps… Just opening an example project and clicking through causes it to crash. Some of the sample projects (e.g. file operation samples) don’t need any plugins, so no plugins that may cause the crashes.

I’ve run this on a Windows 7 32-bit machine as well, not impressed :frowning: I loved the classic IDE :frowning:

I know this isn’t a great workaround, but with PAE enabled on a 32-bit install our IDE can address larger amounts of memory. To enable PAE you’ll have to change the boot parameters (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366796(VS.85).aspx)
Basically in a command prompt (with admin privileges) type: BCDEdit /set PAE ForceEnable

I think I referenced the wrong thing, PAE is used for something else, you want the /3GB switch instead:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556232(v=vs.85).aspx

Same problem here - something easy to reproduce:

Start Xojo
Create Desktop-Project, named “test”
Add event handler “Open” to Window1
Type in “MsgBox” as code
Right-Click on “MsgBox”, choose “Help for MsgBox”
Wait 2 seconds, then close the help window -> Crash!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina
OS X 10.8.3
8 GB RAM

Confirm.
Closing the help window before the end of the loading phase will crash the IDE

[quote=10487:@Michael Kagerbauer]Same problem here - something easy to reproduce:

Start Xojo
Create Desktop-Project, named “test”
Add event handler “Open” to Window1
Type in “MsgBox” as code
Right-Click on “MsgBox”, choose “Help for MsgBox”
Wait 2 seconds, then close the help window -> Crash!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina
OS X 10.8.3
8 GB RAM[/quote]

This isn’t related to the issue in this thread. When the IDE prompts you to, please file a bug in Feedback.

Tried enabling PAE - now IDE actually disappears without a crash message. Opened an example project (Controls-dialog boxes), compiled - and never saw Xojo again…

Sorry I got my PAE and 3GB switches confused. The IDE is compiled with large address aware, so enabling the /3GB switch will enable the IDE to address more memory.