Anybody agree that Windows should be this way?

Hey,

Is there any particular reason that Microsoft Windows does what I am about to describe? Too many people, have this problem to many times and it would be very easy to fix. This problem has probably been around since Windows introduced model windows.

The problem is that when software uses modal windows. the user may want to minimize this window and they may think that they can just simply click on windows behind the modal window because they have minimized this. This is very frustrating for people who do not know what to do with modal windows and that is simply the average computer user. I have helped people with this problem numerous times. My question is that WHY does Windows not just inform you that you cannot have one or more modal windows open?

What do you people think to implementing this feature in there own apps. Atleast, simply a msgbox to inform the user is better than nothing, in my opinion.

THANKS

Who says you cannot have more than one Modal WIndow open? Only one is ACTIVE, but you can have as many open ones as necessary… That is the whole idea… Normally you would have a main task window, but open a 2nd sub task window. where the subtask has the focus until that subtask is complete… at which time that window is closed and focus returns to the main task window. That “task chain” can be multiple windows deep as required.

This is not unique to “Windows [the OS]”, it is the same in all operating systems that support a Window/Panel/Form concept.

So to answer your question directly… No… I don’t

[quote=63913:@Dave S]Who says you cannot have more than one Modal WIndow open? Only one is ACTIVE, but you can have as many open ones as necessary… That is the whole idea… Normally you would have a main task window, but open a 2nd sub task window. where the subtask has the focus until that subtask is complete… at which time that window is closed and focus returns to the main task window. That “task chain” can be multiple windows deep as required.

This is not unique to “Windows [the OS]”, it is the same in all operating systems that support a Window/Panel/Form concept.

So to answer your question directly… No… I don’t[/quote]
I am not sure if you understood the point I was trying to make. I am not saying I do not think Windows should have modal windows. My point is that people are unaware of this task chain so they get frustrated, when they minimize the model windows and people who attempt to click off of modal windows should be notified that they will have to close the modal windows to switch to the window, in which, they attempt to click.

Thanks for your input anyway

Can you prevent the modal window from being minimized? If not directly within Xojo, perhaps a declare could help?

Sure, just disable the minimize button in the Inspector.

I understand exactly what you are trying to convey. And as I said, only one modal window has “focus”, that window being the one that is active, and all previously opened windows are “inactive” (ie. they do not have, nor can they recieve the focus, until the current modal window is closed).

This is NOT a new functionality. This is how ALL windowed operating systems have worked since Microsoft Windows 1.00 (or perhaps back to SPARC days even). This is nothing that a user should not expect … Of course you are free to violate the Interface Guidelines as set forth by Microsoft, Apple and other major OS vendors if you see fit…

What I believe Oliver is describing, is that you can minimize a modal window, but the parent window still cannot become active. This is non-obvious, even to veteran users. OS X handles this very nicely with sheets.

Oliver, this is just a fact of life dealing with Windows. Modal windows should not be allowed to be minimized, that’s the only right way to handle this. Maybe Microsoft should force the modal to not have a minimize box. Heck, maybe they already do and you’re using the wrong window frame type. I’m actually not sure if this is something already enforced.

One of the worst user experiences with Windows is when a modal window opens behind the main window and is therefore invisible. The user sees what is a “frozen” screen with no clue as to what to do. The only thing you can do is hit [Esc] or [Enter] in hopes of dismissing the invisible modal, but an inexperienced user won’t know this. I ran into this most often with Internet Explorer but it’s happened with lots of other applications as well, usually ones made by MS (so don’t blame the independent programmer). Maybe MS has fixed this - I don’t use Windows much anymore.

The only time I have seen this with IE is when a page with a plugin trys to do a pop-under and triggers a modal dialog. It is usually a plugin issue at that point.

And to the OP: Any programmer who puts a minimize option on their modal dialogs deserves every support call and refund chargeback they get. It is a lousy thing to do on consumer level software. It is okay situationally on highly targeted custom apps but has no place anywhere else.