Any tricks for Responsive Web Apps?

I have been building a simple scheduling web app and have been learning a few thing the hard way if you wish it to play nicely on mobile phones

1. You can’t rely on native controls if you put any sort of formatting on them at all. Mostly buttons. The way each tiny quirk in each browser/platform makes formatting and style simple impossible to work with.

2. I have had to roll my own “Buttons” as container controls. The styles and colors are much easier to control consistently.

3. browserstack.com has some wonderful test simulators that allow you to see what the control look like on many platforms and many browsers. (From Chome on Android to whatever the browser is on Kindle Fire)

I would love to hear what other ‘tricks’ you all have come up with.

I have not really figured out how to make things work very well with the varied window sizes of all the tablets out there.

What else am I missing, in trying to hit all these targets?

[quote=213035:@Jay Menna]1. You can’t rely on native controls if you put any sort of formatting on them at all. Mostly buttons. The way each tiny quirk in each browser/platform makes formatting and style simple impossible to work with.

1. I have had to roll my own “Buttons” as container controls. The styles and colors are much easier to control consistently.

I have not really figured out how to make things work very well with the varied window sizes of all the tablets out there.[/quote]

Android does not apply styles for buttons. I simply used labels for the green buttons in the demo of RubberViewsWE at http://rubberviews.com/rubberviewswe.html