Annoying UI problem. Is there a fix?

Hello Everyone,

I’ve run into a rather annoying problem with the Xojo UI that’s causing me immense amounts of grief. When I click on a UI element (say, a button) to bring up the default event handler, the UI will often bring up a completely unrelated event handler for a completely unrelated control. This sometimes is the event handler for the last control I interacted with and sometimes, it’s just a random one.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a fix for it? The workaround requires me to get used to a new workflow which is rather annoying when you’re in the middle of a project.

Thanks,
Anthony

I am not seeing this. You’re using the latest version?

Yes. I see this all of the time. In fact, I’ve now stopped double clicking a control to edit its events, but that is less convenient.
Xojo 2013 4.1
Mac 10.9.1
I’m sure there is a feedback case for this and I started to look for it but the feedback is so massive and jumbled it was going to take more time that I have.

I see it too… Double Clicking to get to events is like rolling the dice

I see this too, its very annoying. Mac OSX 10.7.5, Xojo 2013r4.1. Often restarting Xojo makes the problem go away, but this isn’t very practical.

I’ve seen this a few times as well…

I’ve seen this in the past, but can’t reproduce it.

Could this be something specific to desktop apps? I’m not seeing this at all in Web Apps.

I’ve seen this a few times and noticed that if I save the project (usually via keyboard shortcut) then try again, Xojo recovers and adds events to the correct control.

I see it as well in Windows 7 64 bits.

Hi Anthony,
it seems to me that this happens when clicking an object in the browser pane (the left one) and then the mouse it is moved before the IDE has completed the internal operations to select the object you just clicked.

You can verify if this it is the case with these two different actions:

1. clicking an element and not moving the mouse
  2. clicking an element and moving away the mouse from the click position

I have not seen events for a different control, but I some times get no events in the events sheet…

I’ve seen this too (on Windows), and have an open source project that can be used to verify this.

In the MongoDB driver test project available from GitHub…

https://github.com/alwyn1024/mongodb-xojodriver/tree/master/test

…open the MainWindow in the IDE, and double click the “Test connection” button. The IDE jumps to an unrelated method.

I have - for me it doesn’t happen often and seems to be completely random. Really odd looking at an event list for something not selected in the Navigator!

Sorry meant - yes I’ve seen this in web apps!

I get this constantly in 2013r4.1. (OSX 10.9.1 and Win 7)

My workaround is to click once on the item and then go to the navigator where it is selected and proceed.

I have not had it happen once in the 2014 betas though :slight_smile:

Sort order and handling of the editor’s list items is quite on top now (Feedback 25482, 15th Rank). I think this issue (I’m experiencing it often, too) could be connected to the sorting – and Peter’s words bring hope there’ll a solution quite soon.

[quote=67492:@Anthony Papillion]Hello Everyone,

I’ve run into a rather annoying problem with the Xojo UI that’s causing me immense amounts of grief. When I click on a UI element (say, a button) to bring up the default event handler, the UI will often bring up a completely unrelated event handler for a completely unrelated control. This sometimes is the event handler for the last control I interacted with and sometimes, it’s just a random one.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a fix for it? The workaround requires me to get used to a new workflow which is rather annoying when you’re in the middle of a project.

Thanks,
Anthony[/quote]
Yes, it’s been a long-standing and very hard to reproduce/find bug. When it shows you a list of unrelated items, that’s because the double-click look at your target, saw no possible events, and moved on to the next target. If you use one of the more explicit methods to get to the window, you’ll find the list empty.

Best workaround I’ve found is to click into 3 unrelated project items. Once you click back into your layout, the editor should have been purged from the cache and loaded fresh. Then everything is back to normal.

When I was with Xojo, I spent a while trying to fix this. But not only is it hard to reproduce, it seems “fix itself” while you’re debugging it, making it quite a problem to solve.