Analyze Project broken in 2013 R3?

I’m trying to do “Analyze Project” in my large commercial app using 2013 R3, and when I run it, the IDE shows a progress bar which appears to be analyzing, but when it’s done I get zero results.

Analyzing in 2013 R2, and I see hundreds of warnings show up.

Anyone else?

The first time I ran Analyze in R2, I got a dialog which showed “assembling code” followed by “Analyzing… N of 261 items” and the results show up.

R3 never showed the “Analyzing N of 261” phase.

Repeating this in R2 as second time, and I no longer get the “Analyzing N of 261” phase, and no results show up either.

If I quit R3, delete the cache (~/Library/cache/Xojo/*) then re-open it again: On the first time, Analyze works. on the 2nd time, it draws a blank just as before.

Regression:
If I make a small change, say to App.Open, and then hit Analyze Project again, it works, but only analyzes the item that it had to recompile.

So the bug seems to be : “Analyze Project only analyzes items which need a recompile. Items that are already in the compiled code cache are skipped”.

Anyone else seeing this?

Aha - looks like I’m not alone:

<https://xojo.com/issue/19481> Reported December 2011 !
<https://xojo.com/issue/27198> Reported June 2013
<https://xojo.com/issue/28209> Reported July 2013
<https://xojo.com/issue/28270> Reported July 2013

This seems like a pretty important bug - any plans for a fix?

I’ve actually having a kind of opposite problem. On a few occasions, I’ve tried to analyze the current item - window, class, etc., and absolutely nothing happened after I selected the menu item - no progress bar, no nothin’. In those cases, when I did an “Analyze Project,” it seemed to work properly. I haven’t been able to reliably reproduce this, so I’ve not yet reported it.

On a related note, is anyone else experiencing the warnings settings getting reset every time a project is opened? (I am using the text/vcp format.)

I find Analyze to be very inconsisent. I wish it would at least provide “No issues found” as it did before., instead of silence (where you don’t know if anything happened or not)

But I know I have a project with deprecated items in it… and it told me that ONCE, and been silent ever since

Analyze in 2013 R3 only works if there is an error in source. No error, no warnings.

which kind of defeats the purpose wouldn’t you say? Since ERRORS are caught by the compiler also…
It would be WARNINGS that I would be most intereseted in…

If you delete the cache folder, it does seem to trigger a full re-analyze of the entire project, so there’s at least one hackish workaround (on OSX at least, haven’t tested on Windows)

If it thinks it’s already analyzed and will not reanalyze, I do prefer something like an “Already Analyzed. Nothing done.” just to know.

And a way to force it as Micheal wants, like having in menu an option like “Force Project Analysis”.

I have a philosophical problem with this. If I tell it to analyze the project (or portion thereof) I want it to do it. I don’t care if it has just done an analysis and I haven’t made a single change. I want the analysis done! I don’t ever want to have to guess about whether or not the analysis was done. At the least it should be an option in the preferences whether or not to force an analysis every time.

And, yes, if nothing is found during the analysis, a message telling me so would be appreciated.

[quote=35654:@Dale Arends]I have a philosophical problem with this. If I tell it to analyze the project (or portion thereof) I want it to do it. I don’t care if it has just done an analysis and I haven’t made a single change. I want the analysis done! I don’t ever want to have to guess about whether or not the analysis was done. At the least it should be an option in the preferences whether or not to force an analysis every time.

And, yes, if nothing is found during the analysis, a message telling me so would be appreciated.[/quote]

Exactly… If I ask for something…I had a reason for asking… even if that reason is to see the same answer over and over again

[quote=35611:@Dave S]which kind of defeats the purpose wouldn’t you say? Since ERRORS are caught by the compiler also…
It would be WARNINGS that I would be most intereseted in…[/quote]
Workarround:

Type “xxx” in source to force an error.
Analyze your project.
Delete “xxx” from source.

Works with 2013R3 on 10.6.8

Same here… maybe same everywhere with everyone. The problem is how they will do it. Until now the system fails to do and we have no option to tell “I want it anyway. Clear caches or whatever it needs. If it will take more time, I don’t care, do it”. That’s what I was talking about. An option to say override “the best way” (probably incremental) in favor of “do it anyway” (clear, do it from the start).

I’ve asked that all the old reports be merged into 28270, with luck they will have time to schedule a fix.