Alternative to Chilkat for web

I just got very excited when a forum member pointed me in the direction of Chilkat but I think it’s not available for the Web.

Does anyone know of anything similar that works for Web (not MBS please)

Also, please do correct me if Chilkat does work with web.

I’ve been using chillat since fox, I’m sure if enough people want it they would do a port

dont think they really need to do a “port”
since the plugin stuff all runs IN the server and a web app server portion is just a console app …
have you given it a try in a web app standalone ?

[quote=484354:@Norman Palardy]dont think they really need to do a “port”
since the plugin stuff all runs IN the server and a web app server portion is just a console app …
have you given it a try in a web app standalone ?[/quote]

I haven’t bought it Norman as they list every target conceivable EXCEPT web and have no web examples I can see.

Like Norman, I don’t see the need for a port… I used a few bits and pieces from it in the past and as it was all non UI, I’d expect it to work on the web… have you got an example that concerns you?

Thanks James. I wanted several of the modules but specifically for a non-profit I’ve got to do later this year I wanted the Stripe integration and the IMAP stuff.

Test it. I think it should work for Web. The interface is a bit odd - not very OO - but the functionality is great. I’ve used the IMAP functionality a lot for my app.

Sorry, have not used either. But the docs suggest to me that they should work. It has a thirty day trial, so take it for a test drive.

If they list CONSOLE this is basically what a web app is
Have they got a demo version you can try ?

If I look at the Website, it makes me feel to not even want trying to look at this Plugin…
…when maybe one should - since there are quite some recommendations for that Plugin.
It’s just that I don’t like such “black boxes” with just an address. So I’m wondering if this “Chilkat” is to be trusted, or not?
What kind of company is that? Is there someone we know here on the Forums involved in that company/Plugin?

You dont need to buy it.

Some classes of the plugin are Free and you dont need a licence to use them. Also, the rest of the classes have a 30-Day Trial. So, you can test.

I know @Tim Parnell has used Chillkat in the past and isn’t a big fan. He might chime and give his opinion and if there are alternatives.

Thanks Bob, on the face of it the product looks pretty amazing and I love the tools he offers for various things like JSON conversion etc etc. The examples are pretty spectacular too, very well documented per platform.

These are the Stripe ones for example.

http://rest-examples.chilkat.io/stripe/xojo/default.cshtml

I’d be interested to know why @Tim Parnell doesn’t recommend them.

My experience with them was not great. It has stuck with me to this day and actively plays into my professional recommendations.

I don’t see anything in those examples that requires their plugin at all. Interacting with the Stripe API is just JSON.