Alpha testers for Mac OS X App

Picked up Xojo six months ago on a journey to build some specific apps related to medical vocation. To get going, building a typewriter simulator to meet a felt personal need and get some more practice with coding in Xojo before diving into these more intensive projects.

App seems to be functioning well on my 2013 11" Macbook Air (El Capitan). But worried all hell is going to break loose on larger and better (Retina) screens. Looking for some brave souls Mac users with different screen sizes to test out the Alpha version. If I’m in the ballpark may try to polish it up and put it out for free on the App Store.

What’s the best method of sharing? I have a built (Xojo 2015) and wrapped (AppWrapper 3) .app file (~7MB) that I was thinking to share via DropBox link? Is this an acceptable file type and way to share? First real app so a bit new to this all. ~ J

DMG or ZIP and a dropbox link would do fine for a test release.
For an initial release you should definitely use a DMG (DMG Canvas is a great tool for this)

Thanks. I’ll check out DMG Canvas. Just curious, for full launch, If I plan to go the App Store route, would I need to submit a .APP or a .DMG to the App Store?

Any takers or advice on places to look for Alpha testers?

[quote=277080:@Jason Bender]Thanks. I’ll check out DMG Canvas. Just curious, for full launch, If I plan to go the App Store route, would I need to submit a .APP or a .DMG to the App Store?

Any takers or advice on places to look for Alpha testers?[/quote]

For the App Store you need to sign the app and submit a pkg. Check App Wrapper at http://ohanaware.com ; it prepares all that for you, and it is the best tool you can buy to go into the MAS.

Okay. Yes I already have AppWrapper, and that now makes sense why I ended up with both a pkg and a .APP file.

BTW launching a product in the MAS is WAY easier than on the direct market. IN spite of what appears at first like a lot of hurdles, all you need to do is basically to prepare the content, put a price sticker on it and upload, then it is pretty much like a vending machine that does not need refill.

Direct sales, on the other hand, require having a trial version for download, advertise it to all possible repositories (MacUpdate, CNet, Softonic, but also over hundred user groups and about the same amount of lesser importance repositories), set up a web site and the enginery to collect payment and deliver software. I have been doing that for decades, but it is a lot more on your plate.
For that you may want to visit http://asp-software.org ; that organization caters to indies, and has a lot of advice to distribute try-before-you-buy software.