All My "Getting Started" Questions

[quote=426285:@Dave S]As Paul said… it requires components of XCode to test a “Xojo for iOS” app… and what Apple calls an iOS Simulator is actually more of an iOS Emulator, as it emulates multiple versions of iOS (9.3 thru 12.1 currently), and “simulates” the hardware (both display and user interactions) for every currently support iOS Device which is quite a few. I believe that it would NOT be in Xojo’s best interest, nor that of their customers to waste resource trying to duplicate what is a highly complex testing environment.

I would bet that any competing product, either uses HTML5/Javascript (which Apple is beginning to discourage) or makes a lame attempt at providing a mockup level with little if any operability.

I happen to be developing a drag/drop app for helping to speed up UI development for Swift. This app could be compiled to run on both macOS and Windows… and the Windows version could even create the Xcode project files… BUT it could not run them, because it too requires Xcode to do the final compile[/quote]

Are you shure he ask for a “iOS simulator” ?

He asked “Why can’t”… and my answer addressed that question… You COULD create an Xcode project on any platform since it is just folders and textfiles… but in order to “test” or “deploy” it requires Xcode… and that simply is not (and most likely never will be available on any OS except macOS).

My first app made with Xojo was a paper compiler because I hated writing research papers in high school. I used it to coast my way through to easy Bs. While everyone else worked weeks on their papers, I threw them all together within a few hours.

My second app that I built with Xojo was called Snowflake, based on the snowflake principal of writing - I used it to score perfect 100s on my open book tests in database / SQL programming class (the irony!) - it stored my quiz questions and used my data to search for the question / answer pair that included the string data I filled in (usually only one or two key words or a key phrase).

I built the Algebra Elf Math Manager both on my TI-83 calculator and then in Xojo to study for high school and college algebra.

Xojo is so flexible and amazing that large companies and even one local gov’t agency admin uses it to track the cash flow.

I am currently building software to use in trials / hearings presentations / litigation case management as I work in… you guessed it: the legal field. I do criminal defense, federal civil litigation, business management, and volunteer quite a few work hours.

I initially got interested in Xojo because I was heartbroken after my favorite Mac game’s developer went to work doing something that paid him more than the sales of his game, and discovered that making games is incredibly hard work. -____-