After using Xojo for a month

Before knowing Xojo, I was using Clarion for Windows from SoftVelocity for over 15 years. As Clarion doesn’t support UTF8, thus force me to find another tool for my development. Just want to share with you my feeling with Xojo after a month’s hands on using it.

Pros:

1. extremely easy to learn and use, just a month’s time, I have my own desktop app running with almost all the things that I need
  2. the IDE is very user friendly (compared to Xcode or swift)
  3. useful help (with examples, although not very complete), massive videos, forums …
  4. free plugins (not until deployment of coz), but can let me try out before I actually pay
  5. reusable database codes for desktop, web (I didn’t try out ios app yet)

Cons:

1. IDE crashes by itself quite often
  2. I experienced a couple of times when I try to run the app, it doesn’t show up until I minimize the IDE, I believe this is a bug
  3. I can’t find any book about Xojo in amazon
  4. Report Generation is hard to learn (at least to me), may need to depend on 3rd party plugins
  5. android not supported
  6. can’t save my project module by module, for instance, if I have made changes to several modules but made mistake in the last module, I can’t just reload the last module to avoid changes

Suggestions (from my past experiences):

1. add function to duplicate lines, like F2 for example, the code editor will duplicate the line where the cursor is
  2. radio buttons, instead of putting them in a group, create a control specifically for radio buttons; if I have 3 or more radio buttons, I don’t have to set the property for each button, but simply an integer value for the group control to represent which radio button is selected: for example, 1 for the first button, 2 for the second button etc

I don’t know if I am using Xojo correctly or the way it was designed, but at least I can get what I want from Xojo up to the moment. Thanks Xojo Team.

Cheers

Tony
from Hong Kong

Forget one more cons: it complies quite slow :frowning:

[quote=259747:@Tony Lam]
2) radio buttons, instead of putting them in a group, create a control specifically for radio buttons; if I have 3 or more radio buttons, I don’t have to set the property for each button, but simply an integer value for the group control to represent which radio button is selected: for example, 1 for the first button, 2 for the second button etc[/quote]
The RadioButton already has that. It’s his Index property.

You can also make your own ContainerControl.

Wow, I thought I was the last user of Clarion when I left 10 years ago. I left Clarion for Xojo as well. Overall it has been a very positive experience. Xojo was called RealBasic when I left.

Welcome aboard.

1. You should submit crash reports through Feedback. Xojo takes those seriously.
  2. Windows I presume? I’ve never seen this on a Mac.
  3. There are books available. I’m sure others will point you in the right direction.
  4. …
  5. …
  6. I consider this a feature, not a bug. I don’t want to deal with individual files, just the project as a whole. However, I’ve experienced this too and that’s where using a version control system like Git comes in handy even as an individual developer.

On a Mac, to duplicate a line entirely from the keyboard:

1. Command-Left Arrow (or Control-A)
  2. Shift-Command-Right Arrow (or Shift-Control-E)
  3. Command-C
  4. Command-V
  5. Return
  6. Command-V

Clearly a lot of steps but if you have a macro utility like the great Keyboard Maestro, you can tie those all into one keystroke.

you can get the Xojo Developer magazine.
Currently on sale as part of OmegaBundle

More up to date than any book.

Welcome to the community, Tony!

I recommend you save your Xojo project in the Text format and then let source control manage the files. With a text project you’ll get separate files for each project item. You can then use your source control system to undo changes to a specific item and reload the project to revert the change.

[quote=259766:@Kem Tekinay]On a Mac, to duplicate a line entirely from the keyboard:

1. Command-Left Arrow (or Control-A)
  2. Shift-Command-Right Arrow (or Shift-Control-E)
  3. Command-C
  4. Command-V
  5. Return
  6. Command-V[/quote]
    It sounds like a lot, but it’s really not when you get moving.

My process is similar, it saves a few strokes :slight_smile:

1. Alt-Up
  2. Shift-Down
  3. Cmd-C
  4. Cmd-V <you are up and running at this point
  5. Cmd-V <first new line
    The first cmd-v replaces the line, but it’s the same line so why not, and saves me the navigation, every subsequent cmd-v adds a new line.

Hi everyone, Hi Paul, I have watched a lot of your webinars, very useful resources for newbies. Thanks all for your advises. I think I have explored only 5 percent of this powerful tool, but I will keep learning and practicing. Happy to join you.

Btw, are the copying lines command for Mac? I am using Windows

To duplicate a line on Windows:

Triple click the line
CTRL-C
CTRL-V
CTRL-V

Hi Tony,

Yes, your right, I don’t believe there are any books on Amazon. There are books available on the Great White Software website which is dedicated to Xojo. Feel free to browse!

I have personally written 18 books and there are many more in the queue.

The best resource is the Xojo Forums!

If you use AutoHotKey on Windows, this script will duplicate the line the cursor is one when you press F2:

f2:: send, {home}+{end}{ctrl down}c{ctrl up}{ctrl down}v{ctrl up}{enter}{ctrl down}v{ctrl up} Return

If you like video training we have over 200 videos (over 65 hours worth) at my training website at http://xojo.bkeeney.com/XojoTraining/. This Xojo web app has served up over 10,000 hours of video to people around the globe.

[quote=259829:@Ramon SASTRE]To duplicate a line on Windows:

Triple click the line
CTRL-C
CTRL-V
CTRL-V[/quote]
Can it be done without lifting your hands off the keyboard?

Tony,
I too formally used Clarion although the last version I used was 6.5. I even wrote a handful of articles for Clarion Magazine. When I decided to switch to the Mac I found RealBasic and worked with it for a while. Then I got caught up in mainly Filemaker development but still did some small work with RB. Lately I’ve been getting back into Xojo.

I still do miss some of the features of Clarion.

F2 must be a custom keyboard short cut Clarion had for duplicating a line ?

If you follow Christian’s advice and get the Omegabundle you wont only get access to the Xojo Developer Magazine you’ll also get Valentina Studio and Valentina ADK which solves con #4.

[quote=259795:@Tim Parnell]It sounds like a lot, but it’s really not when you get moving.

My process is similar, it saves a few strokes :slight_smile:

1. Alt-Up
  2. Shift-Down
  3. Cmd-C
  4. Cmd-V <you are up and running at this point
  5. Cmd-V <first new line
    The first cmd-v replaces the line, but it’s the same line so why not, and saves me the navigation, every subsequent cmd-v adds a new line.[/quote]

Tim, that won’t work properly on the last line of code.

How about:

Home
Shift-End
Control-C
End // to remove the highlight
Enter
Control-V

Pack all that into your favorite keyboard macro tool and away you go.

In fact, the hotkey in Clarion is Ctrl+2.
Yes, I will definitely enroll Xojo Dev Magazine.

@Paul, I think that should works for me. Thanks a lot.
@Eugene, I heard of your website in another post “I wish I can Program… Excel”, but I can’t reach that link, I would like to export a fancy excel report for my clients but I don’t know how by the moment :frowning:
@Steve, I know 2 popular plugins for reporting are Valentina and BKeeney Short, if I really need 100% full control to the report, is BS better fit my need?

Just a quick question: I can’t change the color by excel.Range(“A1:B10”).Font.color=RGB(255,0,0), any suggestion?