Advice needed on failed downloading file

Hi,

in a special list project with a simple downoad file (one file only, this is absolutely not a download manager application) *, I have a question to debate with you:

when the file cannot be downloaded - either because internet is not available or for all other unknow reason(s) -, my project write an empty file (a file using the URL file name with a zize of 0 Byte).

I do not know (the core of the debate) if I must delete it before leaving the “download process” or keep it that way (what actually is).

I had so many troubles while debugging the dowload process that I added a MsgBox that states the end of the download process. I know (now) that something wrong appears when that MsgBox appears one or two seconds after I click in the Download button.

Ideas ?

• I’d better stay away from this “download a forgotten file” process, but now that I get it downloading (even very slow), I will not remove it: a true shame.
    I implemented this feature because, sometimes we can forgot to download a file (from the list) and then it can be useful to do from there instead of firing Firefox (or any other web browser) and download it from there.

[quote=193982:@Emile Schwarz]Hi,

in a special list project with a simple downoad file (one file only, this is absolutely not a download manager application) *, I have a question to debate with you:

when the file cannot be downloaded - either because internet is not available or for all other unknow reason(s) -, my project write an empty file (a file using the URL file name with a zize of 0 Byte).

I do not know (the core of the debate) if I must delete it before leaving the “download process” or keep it that way (what actually is).

I had so many troubles while debugging the dowload process that I added a MsgBox that states the end of the download process. I know (now) that something wrong appears when that MsgBox appears one or two seconds after I click in the Download button.

Ideas ?

• I’d better stay away from this “download a forgotten file” process, but now that I get it downloading (even very slow), I will not remove it: a true shame.
    I implemented this feature because, sometimes we can forgot to download a file (from the list) and then it can be useful to do from there instead of firing Firefox (or any other web browser) and download it from there.[/quote]

I would prompt a message saying that “something went wrong, try again later” and delete the file. Otherwise you will get angry support requests from users who try to use the downloaded file and get errors.

Thanks, done !