Additional graphics capabilities?

Does XOJO have the ability for 3D graphics and animations? Also, does any 3rd party offer additional graphics package add-ons? Such as meters, gas gauge type meters etc.? The graphics that are inherit to XOJO out of the box are functional, but I am looking for a little more eye candy.

Thanks
Jim

See:
https://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/xojo/plugin-chartdirector.shtml
It does that as well as make graphs and charts

-karen

Thanks!

But they mention buying a license. I am confused. I have no issue buying the $299.00 license but what does that get me? The right to use the gauges in the chart creator? I looked at the other plug ins and they mention something about it being included in the COMPLETE license

Jim

[quote=487957:@Jim Marquardt]Thanks!

But they mention buying a license. I am confused. I have no issue buying the $299.00 license but what does that get me? The right to use the gauges in the chart creator? I looked at the other plug ins and they mention something about it being included in the COMPLETE license

Jim[/quote]

It gives you the right to use everything in the package with no royalties. I have only used some of the charting/graphing stuff, but not the gauges.

I think the demo lets you try it but only in the IDE and it watermarks everything in demo mode… IMO the Docs are not great… but between those and the example projects one can figure it out.

The Complete plugin package does not include ChartDirector (he named it Complete before he offered this and few other separate packages IIRC) .

ChartDirector is sold separately and you don’t need any of the other paid plugins to use it.

I try to avoid plugins because of cost, but I needed this one for a project. Nothing open source for Xojo had the capabilities that I needed, and I did not have the time to try to write it myself .

-Karen

Ahhh! I see. Chart Director is $299 LICENSE ALL BY ITSELF! Gotcha!

wel hopefully I can find some other options, but in teh meantime this is a good start

Thank you Karen.

[quote=487959:@Jim Marquardt]Ahhh! I see. Chart Director is $299 LICENSE ALL BY ITSELF! Gotcha!

wel hopefully I can find some other options, but in teh meantime this is a good start

Thank you Karen.[/quote]

At one time I THINK there was some open source gauge stuff, (i have been using Xojo and it’s predecessors for 19 years) but I don’t recall any details as I never needed that, and I could be wrong. Maybe someone else might know of some…

Even very old code can be updated to easily run in the current Xojo version, as long as you stick to API 1. Maybe some here knows of such code for gauges.

With just 2 very minor updates, I was able to run some 15 year old open source PDF generation just last week.

-karen

Well I downloaded teh HUGE 600meg zip and copied the contents to its own folder in the plugins folder, and tried to start XOJO, but the application hangs at teh plugins loading…crashes.

UGH!! Nothing is ever easy

JIm

Using all MBS plugins at once isn’t really a good idea. Try only with the ChartDirector plugin. What crash do you get or is the IDE only very slow in loading the plugins?

@Beatrix Willius
YES! You are correct. I copied the MAIN and the chartDirector plug in and restarted XOJO and that was the ticket. But I do not see teh chart director plugins in the controls inventory/library…Sorry to sound dense, but what did I do wrong?

Jim

[quote=487964:@Jim Marquardt]@Beatrix Willius
YES! You are correct. I copied the MAIN and the chartDirector plug in and restarted XOJO and that was the ticket. But I do not see teh chart director plugins in the controls inventory/library…Sorry to sound dense, but what did I do wrong?

Jim[/quote]

It’s a bit lower level library… Start with the sample projects, run them and then look at the code.

-karen

YEs, after running a few examples I figured out that the plug ins are not drop in widgets like the controls library like I was hoping for, but what you have to do is write things out using the plugin language. WHEW!! So much for easy!

But there is enough here to get started.

One question. If I develop an entire project and decide to purchase the license to remove the watermark will I have to recode everything or does the license install remove teh watermark automatically?

JIm

[quote=487966:@Jim Marquardt]YEs, after running a few examples I figured out that the plug ins are not drop in widgets like the controls library like I was hoping for, but what you have to do is write things out using the plugin language. WHEW!! So much for easy!
[/quote]

To get that degree of flexibility something has to give…

Having a license will remove the watermark… Your code will work fine as is.

-karen

[quote=487960:@Karen Atkocius]At one time I THINK there was some open source gauge stuff, (i have been using Xojo and it’s predecessors for 19 years) but I don’t recall any details as I never needed that, and I could be wrong. Maybe someone else might know of some…
[/quote]
it must be ChartPart : http://cullytechnologies.com/products/chartpart/ctlearn.php

First, please don’t drop the whole folder from the plugin download into plugins folder.
Just place the plugin files you need in the plugins folders.

Second, please try the ChartDirector Control example project as it may help you.

Chart Director is worth every penny as much as I use charts in my apps. Note: most of not all of the demo charts for CD use hideous, but all of the charts and functions are super feature rich. When you apply a modern color pallet to a chart then you instantly see how CD is amazing and worth every dime.