Ad for feature request #46795 - Support for Web Frameworks

Tim, it is an extremely interesting work.

If you go through this thread, as well as the FR, and several other similar thread, you will find out that the most thought after feature is to be able to have responsive design, and to use familiar libraries such as Bootstrap, which are definitely not easy to implement in pure Xojo Web, especially responsive.

I am sure XWF would be a terrific success if the demo showed some of these possibilities.

BTW I am not myself very fond of all these “miracle” libraries. But I am probably a dinosaur. I see that most web designers today swear by them.

Michel,

Thanks for the feedback.

I was responding to your comment: “I already suggested that it is possible to design an HTML site that would have a back end powered by Xojo through HandleURL. Then Xojo would act very much like a Php script. It requires creating a token for each visitor to have the notion of session, but it is far from being unfeasible.”

My point in posting about XWF was to show that the technique that you described is possible, and that there’s open source code available that shows how you can do it. Implementing session management was a challenging aspect of the project. To my surprise, processing multi-part forms was also quite challenging. I hope the community finds XWF useful, because that’s why I’ve made it available.

It’s unlikely that I’ll provide an example of XWF that implements responsive design, because I’m not a fan of it. But I would certainly like to see someone give it a try.

Congratulations, indeed, I never actually implemented the idea, beyond a few tests of serving HTML pages.

Since you have already done the interfacing work, I would expect some web designers here who manifested their interest for Boostrap and others, to at least give it a try.

I second this Tim, congrats and deep respect to your open source (!) XWF framework and hard work. I watched your screencast and played around a bit and it’s really a much more code- and object oriented approach. And as far as I can see, a more streamlined too.

You’re also switching between different desktop and mobile versions. With the same disadvantages and overhead I described before but with more control by code. This reminds me a lot to those good ol’ days of Classic ASP where I managed session, request. and response handlers in the same way and connect via COM to my VB6 Objects using Server.CreateObject(“myobjectname”) - and of course “regsvr32 -ed” them before on the server.

Though it’s not responsive. The magic and presentation of modern, mobile first webpages is happening - and please correct me when I am going wrong - on client side. To bring these two seperated worlds together, this is the challange.

An important fact to keep in mind is that today, over 50% of search on Google are mobile. Responsive is no longer a luxury. It has become a necessity.

…with no surprise Michel, non-responsive (and unencrpyted too) Websites are degraded in Google rankings.

I know XOJO creates Web Apps, something entirely different than static websites. A bridge for all those business apps from the desktop in need of web-based interfaces. But let’s face the facts: it’s just a minor use-case. We need a new designer for responsible websites. We different layout controls, stackable columns, fluid resizable images. There are several JS platforms offering this jQuery, Bootstrap, Foundation…

I am in big fan of stacks in rapidweaver and would like to see something similar in Xojo too and I would pay for it when XOJO would decide to create a new target “responsive web”

Tomas, I fear this is indeed a completely different product, and I never saw any hint that Xojo would be interested into creating it.

It would be completely different and something I’d have had no interest in creating. The market is already flooded with web development tools and frameworks. I would have had zero interest in creating another Dreamweaver.

As a follow-up to the XWF / responsive design discussion, I’ve just released XWF v1.2.

The XWF class includes a few bug fixes and enhancements. More significant changes were made to the demo app. It now uses an improved templating system, including a Bootstrap-based template.

XWF v1.2 is available for download here.

A live demo of the app, which is configured to use the Bootstrap template, is available here.

Nice. Looking forward to trying it on a project or two. I also built a multipart mime form parser for another project and getting it to successfully handle multiple fields and large files was not easy, so I applaud your work on that.

Tim Dietrich, I will give XWF a new try…

Xojo is very slow in new features, there are so many tegnologias for example, Laravel, Angular, Vue.js. React,
All this makes the applications look elegant, that they adapt to mobile devices, etc. With Xojo Web we can not create modern and eye-catching applications.

That’s the reason for the new web framework.
https://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2018/04/xdc-2018-web-2-0-notes/

Sure? https://forum.xojo.com/45178-metro-style/

I don’t say would be a way to use all that .js, but there are good looking web apps out.