activation emails in apps

I know this isn’t really a xojo question - I’m using a web-service to send activation emails to my users.

Has anybody else had any experience with this? Basically, my users buy licenses and then they can activate their computers. When they do this, the web-service sends them an activation email with a link - which registers it as working in an online database.

However, these emails often end up in the spam folder. I’ve used myself programs which send activation emails and they land in the inbox every time.

My question is - is there a way that my users can get a nice user experience by having the activation email land in their inbox rather than the spam box?

you cannot control how or where a remote client email stores your message. If you could, then what could would Spam filters be, as everyone would do what ever it took to circumvent a users “rules”.

Your best bet is to make sure you do not use words, phrases etc that are common spam triggers.

For example, I’ll bet no matter what else you do… if your message contains “Nigerian Prince” or “YOU WIN!” it will be considered spam by almost everyone

Dave is right. I have a similar system set up in Xippets. You just need to tell your user to either check their spam box or they add your mailer address to their allowed list.

While the topic is interesting and surely it’s “general” it’s not Xojo-Related. Shouldn’t this be in the off-topic folder? “On-Topic” is Xojo-related.

I thought the thread would go more along the lines of best practices to implement the validation within an app assuming the user might’ve not got the email yet (which is an interesting thought, too).

As for this, as said, the best bet is to make sure no triggers for spam are in the email. Sending links will always increase the risk but may be inavoidable. Sending direct links instead of links with parameters lowers the perceived risk so it pays out to set-up a redirection rule so intead of:

http://myhost.com/validation.php?key=23098e243io0u3443024098&email=eduo@mac.com&action=confirm

You send:

http://myhost.com/v/23098e243io0u3443024098

(validation links should always be one-way hashes and expire within 24 hours of being issued, if an expired link is clicked the web should say so and offer to send a new one, but not display any information about the recipient or what the email was).