Accessing Xojo Release Info

Is there any way to access the current Xojo Release that is being used to compile/build an application.

My users are running older Windows XP machines, Linux Wine, and Mac Crossover and are getting various errors as Xojo keeps making new releases. It would be helpful if I could isolate specific Xojo Releases that are causing the errors.

Thanks in advance,
Ron Bower

see:

http://developer.xojo.com/deprecations

That will at least let you know what Xojo/RS/RB versions worked with which OS versions.

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/XojoVersion
or
http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/XojoVersionString

When you compile your application those are basically hard coded into it so you can print that out to know which version your app was compiled with

[quote=273151:@Ron Bower]My users are running older Windows XP machines, Linux Wine, and Mac Crossover and are getting various errors as Xojo keeps making new releases. It would be helpful if I could isolate specific Xojo Releases that are causing the errors.
[/quote]
And note that wine and crossover so not necessarily give “100% compatibility” and XP is no longer supported with the latest Xojo releases

For my own information (and others), I set the build Xojo version and date of application generation into the Application’s About box.

Better than checking the application creation file !

Please read the
http://developer.xojo.com/system-requirements
to get the current system requirements.

Thanks for the help and comments. i also have an “About” window that shows the Current Version, Build Date, and I just added the Compiler Version. The situation I face is that users are running various versions of Windows and some are also running on Linux using Wine and on Mac using crossover.

With the last few releases (updates) of Xojo, I do not see any difference here, but users runs on Linux or Mac notice various errors - like “Missing Framework DLL”, or “Missing msvcr120 DLL”, and a few others. I now have to build and release two separate versions:
For XP and Macs, i build with Xojo 2013r3.3
For Windows Vista and above or Linux, I build with Xojo 2015r2.4

I wanted to have a way, when something stops working to be able to know the most latest Xojo version that seemed to run okay.

Xojo is a cross platform tool, why are you not building directly for Mac?

This has to do with the latest windows runtimes. This happened 2016r1 if you’re curious.
You can just bundle the runtimes in with your app if your user can’t install the updates.
See WindowsUniversalRuntime.pdf inside the Documentation folder that’s part of your Xojo install.

Tim -

I guess i need to be painfully honest… I developed an application to run on Windows and have provided it free of charge to all members of my club. When some members realized that they could run the program on Linux or Mac OS, that was just an added plus.

The user list is now in the 500+ range. MOST still running Windows - everything from XP through Windows 10. The Mac and Linux users are a “bonus” and I like to keep them supported whenever possible.

As for cross-platform development, that seems to add two complications - please correct me if I’m wrong:

1. I’d need to upgrade to Xojo Pro - a fairly substantial expense - especially considering that the application is provided free of charge in support of a hobby.
  2. I’d also need a Windows, Linux, and Mac OSx environment in my development environment in order to complete test the all changes. I’m in no way ready to make that investment.

It seems to me that the easiest solution is to just keep trying to build with the latest release and when that fails, fall back to the last release that worked.

Ron Bower

1. the Xojo Pro version is $699(US)… but the Desktop version is only $299 (and compiles across all 3 environments), so if you don’t NEED/want WEB/iOS/Console then you don’t NEED/want PRO (I assume your current license is the $99 single platform)

2. either that , or co-opt a few of your knowledge current users that have OSX and/or Linux to be your testers

Note : the latest version will NOT solve users with XP (and of of 2016r2 those with VISTA), for them YOU have no choice but to use an older release of Xojo… (see the link posted above)

It all boils down to how much $$$ and time are you willing to invest in a FREE app.

are you suggesting ron should ask people who do have mac & linux licenses to build & test them for him ?

No… I am suggesting that Ron should ask people who have Mac or Linux computers to TEST for him… If Ron purchases the proper license he can BUILD the releases himself.

Probably something I’m missing - would not be the first time. My current license is Desktop, Database Servers.

i can see that I can build for different platforms but have no way to actually run them in that environment. I’d need several conditional statements when making file access requests and in a few other places.

I’ve been building special XP version releases for over a year now, but just ran into the problem with Mac and Linux with 2016r1.

As Dave said, it’s just a matter of how much I’m willing to invest on my own for something that I’m giving away. I think I pretty much at that limit now.

I am interested in looking at the Windows Universal Runtime documentation to see what it says.

Thank to all.

Ron Bower

yes, it might take some research on your part to determine if/when conditional compiles might be required… but that is why I suggested having others test for you… because otherwise you would need access to those platforms yourself.
One of the expenses in doing multiplatform developement. Personally I don’t support Linux, but then I have a few OSX and WIN platforms available to me

[quote=273322:@Ron Bower]i can see that I can build for different platforms but have no way to actually run them in that environment. I’d need several conditional statements when making file access requests and in a few other places.

[/quote]

If you used the Xojo recommended ways of doing things with folderItems and using the special folders modules for base locations and you don’t use declares, maybe not… or very little.

In any case maybe you have friend that would allow you to remote debug to their mac? Or better yet visit and use their machine for debuging the app. You can install and debug with the IDE without a build license on that machine… You can then take the code home and compile it.

If they are n the club and they want the free app on their machine, they might not mind… never hurts to ask for volunteers for that from the membership… Or ask the membership to buy you a Mac! :wink:

• Karen

• Karen

Heck with 500+ members… $4.00 each and you can get a new iMac :slight_smile: $1.50 each and you can get a MacMini

Let me look over the code. It started about 4 years ago as my first attempt at Windows Programming - after I retired from Computer Sciences Corporation working on larger/different machines.

I know my program is completely portable on a Windows PC - Install it anywhere and all files are relative from the installation folder. I may have made some major blunders when first starting our, so need to have a careful look.

One problem I see is the Inno files that default to install in C:\<app_name>.

Thanks for the thoughts - may be onto something here.

Ron Bower