About Xojo XML Code Generation

Hello,

I’d like to have some inputs from Xojo Inc. regarding Xojo XML Code generation, both on technical and legal side.

1. Is it ok to develop tools that generate Xojo XML Code ?
  2. If so, is it ok to sell tools that generate Xojo XML Code ?
  3. Is there a XML Code API somewhere ?
  4. If not, would it be ok to create an API (either from Xojo Inc or from us) for Xojo XML Code generation ?

As an example, I’m developing an OpenGL Toolkit for Xojo (raaXOpenGL). Among the tools there is a utility (made with Xojo) that generates Xojo Modules XML Code from the Khronos OpenGL Registry, but I’m not sure if it is ok with Xojo Inc. to do that, especially if the tool is sold with the toolkit.

(perhaps there has been some threads about this already, sorry if I missed those).

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).

Cheers,
Guy.

Have a look at My2nGeneration, it does XOJO code… Then check your licence agreement, as far as I can remember there is some requirement that you acknowledge the user of XOJO in such tools but that is it.

There is no API for the Xojo XML project file format.

You can read the full EULA here: http://www.xojo.com/download/eula.php.

Contact us directly if you have further questions on the EULA: custserv@xojo.com

My read of the license…for what it’s worth…is that you’re fine. You’re not wrapping Xojo and making it available to others (i.e. via XojoScript). And you’re not helping people use another language (would require the Xojo logo in your about box). You’re generating code to be used in Xojo projects thereby helping and encouraging them to use Xojo.

I think your main concern is making sure no XML format changes break your tool.

Thanks for your answer Paul.

I’ve already red the full EULA and there is no mention regarding generation of Xojo XML Code, that’s why I was asking here, just in case.

We have a saying in France: “Qui ne dit rien consent” which can be ruffly translated as “Who does not mention it, agreed” or something like that. So I guess if it is not mentioned, it is ok.

The only thing I’ve noticed from the EULA is this:
“If you are creating a development tool, you will include the “Made with Xojo” logo.”

I guess a tool generating bindings for an external API is considered as a development tool ? So I’ll have to contact you privately in order to have access to this logo. Can you confirm this ?

Cheers,
Guy.

You can grab the “Made with” logos from your Account page at xojo.com. For other questions, contact custserv@xojo.com as they’ll be able to give you more precise answers than I can.

Got it, thanks Paul.

(never paid attention it was in the account page!)

Cheers,
Guy.

you can start with my ancient code from www.great-white-software.com and update it as necessary

that was entirely written based on what I could glean from the XML file format way back when

Thanks Norman,

I’ll take a look at it.

Cheers,
Guy.

Here is a new version I had made from the old version of MenuFromXML (great-white-software)
MenuFromXML

I should just take the whole set & put them on some repository :stuck_out_tongue:
That way anyone can update / add to them as needed

[quote=76520:@Guy Rabiller]Got it, thanks Paul.

(never paid attention it was in the account page!)

Cheers,
Guy.[/quote]

[quote=76509:@Guy Rabiller]Thanks for your answer Paul.

I’ve already red the full EULA and there is no mention regarding generation of Xojo XML Code, that’s why I was asking here, just in case.

We have a saying in France: “Qui ne dit rien consent” which can be ruffly translated as “Who does not mention it, agreed” or something like that. So I guess if it is not mentioned, it is ok.

The only thing I’ve noticed from the EULA is this:
“If you are creating a development tool, you will include the “Made with Xojo” logo.”

I guess a tool generating bindings for an external API is considered as a development tool ? So I’ll have to contact you privately in order to have access to this logo. Can you confirm this ?

Cheers,
Guy.[/quote]

Stick with Norm’s XML Code generation classes, they’ve been approved and worked fine for quite a while. Easy to use and can generate full projects with ease.
http://www.great-white-software.com/CodeGeneration.zip

You may want to contact Customer Service as derivatives (editors of any sort) of the Xojo IDE are expressly prohibited in the EULA (a simple notepad style XojoScript editor with autocomplete got shot down for that reason). Although Templemann has managed to get around the EULA and licensing with Arbed (http://www.tempel.org/Arbed/Arbed).

Well,

Actually my tool is already working and generate proper (but manually generated) Xojo Modules XML Code.

I was thinking working on a API later on but since Norman already started one I’ll definitely look at it for future(s) project(s)

Cheers,
Guy.

Indeed that’s interresting to see a product that is expressly prohibited by the EULA :slight_smile:

Perhaps they have some private agreement with Xojo Inc. and pay royalties or something.

Cheers,
Guy.

Thomas has actually had numerous discussions with Geoff regarding Arbed.
I’m not privy to the exact details but basically he has a “license” for the binary format - the others are plain text that anyone can inspect with a text editor so its hard to describe opening such a file in a text editor as reverse engineering.

He’s not “gotten around” anything - he’s been up front with us and we have an agreement in place with him (verbal written etc I’m not sure)

In the intervening … gawd 9 years since I wrote those I have learned a lot
I would actually make some changes to them

Maybe in my “spare time” :stuck_out_tongue: