A Xojo 2015r1 created application is running in Windows 11

I installed a SQLIte driven application yesterday on an Acer with WIndows 11 that comes out of the box earlier in that morning.

As far as i can tell, it worked fine.

The supported folders were created, the data base file read and written, the splash screen appears correctly (with db specs).

The user do not called to cry against me since yesterday mid-day…

All he says was: “no need to upgrade (to the current Xojo version: 2022r2)…”
And my answer was “I need an eyes upgrade, but I cannot get that.”

FWIW.

I know of a 90’s made database app made at max for win xp using borland database engine
that still works on windows 11 too !!!
(and was not working under vista nor seven)

edit: forgot to mention: windows 11 ARM !

3 Likes

Microsoft has always done its best to keep backward compatibility.

… always done its best to keep backward compatibility.

Windows 11 is more or less Windows 95 :joy:

No, it’s all Windows NT!

1 Like

Like moving VB6 source code to VB.Net?

IBM is the king of backward compatibility. I have programs I wrote in 1982 that are essentially unchanged 40 years later, which compiled and ran on each new generation of machine. Moved from CISC to RISC, transitioned through LOTS of OS releases, etc.

1 Like

Those are DIFFERENT products.

It is more like RUNNING VB6 compiled apps 20+ years later without changes and without recompiling.

1 Like

As a developer, I also value source code backward compatibility. It is like the engineer’s mantra at Apple must be: “If it ain’t broke, fix it 'til it is!”

But to your point, on the IBM systems where I spent most of my time in the 80’s and 90’s, they even pulled off allowing you to move COMPILED object code from a CISC based machine to a RISC based machine with a higher bit count (IIRC it was 128 bit even then). They did this by also storing an intermediate representation of the program code along with the final linked machine code for the current machine code. The first time an object was run on a new architecture, it automagically regenerated the machine code for the new machine. As long as you were not doing other things like checking the hardware serial number of other license restrictions of your own, the COMPILED code could be moved to an entirely different architecture and run natively on that architecture too. (They also had migration assistants that would perform all that for you so you did not have a performance hit on first use on the new machine.)

So not only did they allow COMPILED programs to run across many OS upgrades, they even allowed COMPILED programs to run natively on an entirely entirely different CPU architecture.

And I can.

The Windows 11 ‘out of the box’ problem is when they have 11S and it forces them to the Windows Store, like its my fault… :wink:

All too true :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

hear ! hear ! hear !

i read about. the todays app in ms store already run at client pc in an virtual enviroment.
if we test our apps local at pc, at client it behave different and you can guess why.
we must keep the freedom to share apps by ourselves for everyone. very importantly.