A Suggestion

Hi!

Now you are not ignored

:smiley:

Oh, my! I’ve started a firestorm here. Sorry if I offended anyone, as that was DEFINITELY not my intent.

I have no way of doing a markup while at my client today, so let me try again to describe what I would like, as it is simple (I think).

Consider Julian’s code sample mock up above. See the left side of the image, where all the tick marks indicate possible break points? Allow me to select a block of code (say the first block of the If statement), right-click, and choose a color. When I click OK, that color would fill the area on the left of the code block where the tick marks are. Put a bunch adjacent to each other, and you get a rainbow ribbon that can visually assist in locating important code, marking sections to revisit in a later revision, or indicating a block that recently changed.

The human eye’s ability to quickly spot blocks of color make this a fast way to find blocks of code, not just a keyword that might appear 50 times in a routine.

first off, I dont think you offended anyone at all

second, I think we all understand what you want, but at the present time you simply cannot have it. It doesn’t exist, its not available. period.

The only possible course of action for you is to submit a feedback request, and wait

Fair enough. Feedback it is, and thanks to all!

That’s not true. Voting for items in feedback help us understand what user priorities are. That said, they are not the only factor that we use.

a more accurate statement

there is no reality, just ones perception of it

Case 10417 is closed and thus it is not ranked.

It will have zero influence in determining anything.

It died in 2009

[quote=365081:@Jay Menna]Case 10417 is closed and thus it is not ranked.

It will have zero influence in determining anything.

It died in 2009[/quote]
That was exactly Tims point

If you put more information on closed cases, they re-appear as cases with recent activity. This may make someone to notice.

Then you missed Tims point as well

Basically Xojo responded that /* */ would not be implemented because the band-aid was select the text and apply individual line comments
 So the feature request was rejected out-right

Just make a new feature request ticket, post a link to it here and ask everyone to vote for it.

Takes less time than moaning about it and nothing happening.

If it doesn’t get votes its not that important.

If people moved their votes from 28733 to the newly created ticket it would be in 8th position and all those votes wouldn’t be wasted. Leaving votes on a ticket from 2013 that won’t be implemented is a waste of time and votes.

Apathy
 bah I can’t be bothered with the rest of the quote

Thank you Dave.

I don’t think any company can deliver all the features the users want (or even need). There will always be more features to add. And the users have different needs/wants.

If I believe in something and the usefulness of it, I should keep trying to get it with positive actions.

I like Julian’s idea.

mine too

For what it’s worth the 8 year old case was updated again on Dec 15 as “Closed (misc)” even though it should be “Closed (won’t implement)”

So still, 8 years later, ignoring customers.

I tend to do stuff like below.

[code]////////////////////////// ------- Update in 2017 ------ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
// The below code written in 1998, still works, but needs updating in order for \\
// me to add the fancy widget thing \\
////////////////////////// ----------------------------- \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Dim n as integer = 

////////////////////////// ------ End update ------- \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
[/code]

I find it’s easier to not comment

Every time you go back to old code, its a new puzzle, fun fun :smiley: :slight_smile:

Long time ago, there as a mechanism to put lines of text (while in Code Editor) from a MenuItem (the text was stored as text in Xojo folder (where ?).

But moving that folder every 3 months killed for me the use of it.

But it was good for my our productivity to be able to put a “top of Method” default text to be filled with actual Function / Method data (like its name, in/out parameters, explanations on what it does and the usual date of creation, who created it and the © line).

You can today still do that if you open one or more of these text files in a text editor and copy/paste… :frowning:

You can use Xojo IDE Scripts (in the Scripts Folder) to implement your own “Snippets” Feature. :wink:

Text = Text + ...

[quote=365512:@Sam Rowlands]I tend to do stuff like below.

[code]////////////////////////// ------- Update in 2017 ------ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
// The below code written in 1998, still works, but needs updating in order for \\
// me to add the fancy widget thing \\
////////////////////////// ----------------------------- \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Dim n as integer = 

////////////////////////// ------ End update ------- \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
[/code][/quote]

i do this instead for important stuff

//***********************
//    The below code written in 1998, still works, but needs updating in order for    
//    last updated: 2017-12-19                                         
//***********************

or if not very important

//** The below code written in 1998, still works, but needs updating in order for