A question about HDMI

Hi

I have an app that is running on Windows 8.1. When in use it connects to a largish HDMI device (usually someones TV screen, usually about 24"). The people that use the program have asked if its display area can fill the larger screen. Would this be possible? The problem as I see it is that the actual program is used on a 15" laptop and the entire windows needs to be visible to operate the program. A laptop output port is connected to the TV screen.

Yes, in the absolute: I watch DVT TV from a Windows8.1 laptop, the TV window is in an external 22" (or 23" ?), 1920 x 1080 (full hd) monitor. Note that the 11,6" in the Two-In-1 laptop is also 1920 x 1080.

I do not tried to use an application I created with Xojo full screen in that external monitor. (no use, yet).

At last, I do not have that external monitor right now, so I cannot tell.

From what you say, it seems that the laptop and TV screen need to have the same resolution (1920 x 1080 in your case).

No, sorry for the misfeat. I use that very same external monitor with a Retina MacBook Pro whose resolution is far more that full hd (3360 x 2100).

And that windows 8.1 laptop monitor is 120 dpi…

I usually work on a Mac, so I know very little about Windows. But would it be reasonable to assume that if I made the app’s Window fullscreen on the laptop, it would then be fullscreen on the TV screen? I am just assuming that the TV screen tries to completely mimic what is on the laptop’s screen.

FWIW, just like Mac, windows is usually not restricted to mirroring in this situation. You may be able to extend the desktop as if the hdmi screen is just another monitor.

[quote=181622:@Cliff Strange]Hi

I have an app that is running on Windows 8.1. When in use it connects to a largish HDMI device (usually someones TV screen, usually about 24"). The people that use the program have asked if its display area can fill the larger screen. Would this be possible? The problem as I see it is that the actual program is used on a 15" laptop and the entire windows needs to be visible to operate the program. A laptop output port is connected to the TV screen.[/quote]

Certainly
I have 2 x 27" monitors connected over HDMI to my MBPr
One runs at 1920 x 1080 and the other at 2560 x 1440
They are logically all separate monitors
Works wonderfully

Norman is correct… I have a setup in my office w/ 5 monitors, which are all connected via HDMI on a single Windows 8.1 system; each monitor able to run w/ separate resolutions and taskbars, which acts as one large extended desktop. Just drag your application to the appropriate display and run fullscreen/maximized.

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10498285_10203576157467850_5039572892855985325_o.jpg

Edited (Paul): I had to embed this impressive image into the post!

The main and important thing here is “extended desktop”. I think it is in the Display settings that you have a Control (a CheckBox ?) to click to set the Extended Desktop (bureau étendu).

On my Windows 8.1 machine, I, sometimes, have to move the DVT window (thc) to the external monitor to watch TV and do the work with the internal monitor.