"A development profile is required when building an iOS application." is back…

Hello,

I’ve followed the steps for iOS deployment in the UserGuide section. First thing: these steps are outdated and I didn’t have the same steps myself. I eventually completed the steps until to the problem I’m facing.
I’ve selected my code signing certificate in Xojo. When I try to build, I’m getting this error:
“A development profile is required when building an iOS application.”

I searched thru this forum for similar questions. Again, all the ones I found are a bit outdated, so I presume this particular problem was quiet for a long time.
I’ve tried the answers I found on this forum:
•In keychain, I set all my keys to an access control of “any application”.
•No outdated certificate is in the list (it’s my first year, anyway).
•I could deploy a blank application from XCode to my iPad (using the same certificate). At this step, XCode asked for authorisation (my computer’s password). In Xojo, I get the error message, but I never get asked for my account’s password.

The biggest difference I’m seeing between the steps in the user guide and the ones I saw is the user guide mentions specifically iOS certificates. On Apple’s website (and much everywhere else), there are only “Apple” certificates. I guess Apple has unified all them into a single name (it’d confuse me less if the user guide was up to date).

What may I try next?
(I’d like to avoid deleting all my certificates, because I’d have to bring them back later, and I’m not enough understanding all that yet to re-import them quickly; following all the steps guides I had to do once is already annoying me).

Did you select a Team in the build options of Xojo?

Xojo Navigator (left panel) > Build Settings > iOS
Inspector (right panel) >

• Build identifier must match the one from your certificate
  • Code signing > Team must match the one from your certificate

[quote=473185:@Jeremie Leroy]Did you select a Team in the build options of Xojo?

Xojo Navigator (left panel) > Build Settings > iOS
Inspector (right panel) >

• Build identifier must match the one from your certificate
  • Code signing > Team must match the one from your certificate[/quote]
    Thanks.
    Yes, I’ve selected my “team” (myself only…). “Build For App Store” is off. My certificate is a wildcard (com.amug.*) and my bundle identifier is “ com.amug.grabpicturefromcomputer”.

Don’t use a wildcard identifier

I did that because, otherwise, it’s unclear to me if I must have a different wildcard for each app. If you can explain this to me, I’ll be happy to avoid them.
Thank you.

You will need an explicit identifier for each app
Such as com.companyname.appname

Wildcard identifiers don’t work well with Xojo.

Furthermore if you are creating a consumer app, choose the bundle identifier wisely as it is indexed for app store searches.

[quote=473241:@Jeremie Leroy]You will need an explicit identifier for each app
Such as com.companyname.appname

Wildcard identifiers don’t work well with Xojo.[/quote]
Thank you!
At first, I thought the problem was something else, since after creating an explicit identifier, Xojo still complained. I forgot to also use the new identifier in the “profiling” section. I did that, downloaded the certificate and imported it in XCode. Now, it works!

Not sure what a “consumer” app is. You mean one for distributing to the “wild”?
It’s my first iOS app and won’t be available to others (no App Store). For what I’m seeing, it works as intended (the behaviour isn’t working, however. A big difference between the simulator and the installed app prevents it from working).

What I mean by consumer app is an app that aims to be downloaded as much as possible, by everyone around the world. In this case, App Store Optimization (ASO) is absolutely needed. ASO is the application stores equivalent to SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

As opposed to a B2B apps only used by selected business, and in-house app (such as yours) only used internally.

OK. Thank you.