a comment about Xojo webinars

Hi all,
I’m italian, and I would like to post a little comment about the webinars present on Xojo website.
I decided today to take my time to see and listen some of them, obviously the first that captured my attention was one about threads, that’s a really interesting argument…

below my transcript of the first few phrases:

typing…typing…typing…Arrrrh’lcome wryone I’m Paul Fever(???) the xjo devloper evanglist, and your’re attending one of 'r 'ekly webinars, ‘is week topic’s :
working with threads ( got it!!! but just maybe because is the title ), which is …(sriracha)… popular topic …(sriracha)… days, welcome to the …( sriracha )… new folks ( thank you! )…(sriracha) attended before.
(sriracha)…(sriracha)…(sriracha) you shoul’ see a question window (sriracha) more …(sriracha)… don’t esitate to ask questions.

and my question is ( without esitation ): Uhu?!?

Seriously, no intention to be harsh, but you have a lot of non-american users, and while I can perfectly understand that you can’t translate everything, I think that a little slowly and carefully pronounced ( and more evangelist ) english could help all of us to understand better…

I’m now listening Billie Holiday singing a beautiful jazz standard, and I can understand ( and feel ) all the lyrics,
so, paraphrasing the track title, I would say:
please please Paul(???),
speak (S)low…

The solution appears obvious: Paul needs to present the next webinar by singing it as a blues number. Now THAT I would tune in for. :slight_smile:

Maybe they can hire the South African signing guy to do the international translations.

This is why they are recorded. So you can pause. :slight_smile:

But more seriously, we are looking to doing some webinars in other languages.

Thanks Paul for your replay,

localized webinars would be fantastic,
but in the meantime, I was just pointing out that a liiitiiile slower english could help :slight_smile:

thanks again, and sorry for mispelling your name!

greetings from Rome,

Giulio Cesare

The problem would be solved (and searchable by web search engines as a bonus) if there were written transcripts provided with each one.

Subtitles!

Training! After a couple of months doing phone conferences with americans 3 times a week for 4 hours I could understand everybody. Gave me 6 kg and made me change my job, though.

As a speaker of New Zild I have no problems with Paul’s annunciation of English. He has added a great layer of information on top of what was available before his joining the team. However I can appreciate those of you who don’t have a great English comprehension.

It does seem that for Xojo to cover ALL languages there would be a massive outlay which would have to take a huge amount of resources from developing the product. Perhaps some of you who use the non-English forum channels could offer to translate?

No problems here :slight_smile: But of course there are people that have.
Like Markus said, Subtitles! :slight_smile:

[quote=59383:@Albin Kiland]No problems here :slight_smile: But of course there are people that have.
Like Markus said, Subtitles! :)[/quote]
Subtitles would be great. But it takes time, thus money, to be properly done… OTOH, it makes the localization easier and cheaper since you just need to translate the subtitles and make a few adjustments to integrate the languages differences in terms of length. e.g on average, English is shorter than French which itself is shorter than Spanish which itself is shorter than German… and so on.
I’m aware that You tube can automagically generate subtitles, but that can be for entertaining purpose only… I’ve seen some of Paul’s talking going wild when using this function. Some of them would even be rated “Explicit Lyrics” if Paul was to sing… :slight_smile:

I would have no problems to offer some time to translate some webinars in Italian,
but starting from a written text

Trust me, no one wants this.

That’s a relief! :wink:

If they had a transcript for the videos and the license for the transcript was creative commons or something, maybe the community could put in some effort translating the transcripts to different languages.