A bit confused how the new licenses scheme works for Xojo

After I have been reading your blog few times: (http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2013/04/coming-soon-new-pricing-recap.html) I have some questions about the new license scheme for Xojo.

1. In your blog you write: The IDE is free to use for developing, running, testing and debugging on any platform.
Question: So that means any new version of Xojo can be downloaded for free and be used as mentioned above ?

2. In your blog you write: When you need to create stand-alone builds of your apps, you buy a license.
Question: I buy a Xojo license for one year and I don’t renew the license the following year. Can I still compile and deploy my applications as stand-alone apps when my license has expired with my current Xojo Version ?

3. Question: Can a Xojo version 2013 read code from a Xojo Version 2014 ?

4. Question: If Question 3 is YES. Can a Xojo Version 2013 compile code from a Xojo Version 2014 and deploy it?

5. Question: When using the free Xojo IDE for developing do I still need to have an account for login ?

[quote=8957:@John Hansen]After I have been reading your blog few times: (http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2013/04/coming-soon-new-pricing-recap.html) I have some questions about the new license scheme for Xojo.

1. In your blog you write: The IDE is free to use for developing, running, testing and debugging on any platform.
Question: So that means any new version of Xojo can be downloaded for free and be used as mentioned above ?[/quote]
Correct. But there is only one “version” of Xojo. What it can do is controlled by the license. Without a license it can do the things described above.

[quote=8957:@John Hansen]2. In your blog you write: When you need to create stand-alone builds of your apps, you buy a license.
Question: I buy a Xojo license for one year and I don’t renew the license the following year. Can I still compile and deploy my applications as stand-alone apps when my license has expired with my current Xojo Version ?[/quote]
If you have a license for Xojo, you can continue using that version indefinitely, just as you can today. So if your license expires on Feb 1, 2014, then you can use any version of Xojo released before Feb 1, 2014. You will be able to use versions released after Feb 1, 2014 but your license will not work with them, so they will only be able to use the features described in #1.

We can’t predict the future, but we strive for file compatibility between versions.

Presuming a compatible file format and that you stay away from using new features that may not be in the 2013 version, then yes.

No.

[quote=8965:@Paul Lefebvre]Correct. But there is only one “version” of Xojo. What it can do is controlled by the license. Without a license it can do the things described above.

If you have a license for Xojo, you can continue using that version indefinitely, just as you can today. So if your license expires on Feb 1, 2014, then you can use any version of Xojo released before Feb 1, 2014. You will be able to use versions released after Feb 1, 2014 but your license will not work with them, so they will only be able to use the features described in #1.

We can’t predict the future, but we strive for file compatibility between versions.

Presuming a compatible file format and that you stay away from using new features that may not be in the 2013 version, then yes.

No.[/quote]

Thanks Paul,

For clarify it

[quote=8965:@Paul Lefebvre]John Hansen 3. Question: Can a Xojo version 2013 read code from a Xojo Version 2014 ?

We can’t predict the future, but we strive for file compatibility between versions.[/quote]
I’m going to amend my answer here. We don’t “strive” for compatibility between versions, but we don’t go out of our way to break things either. Really, the “we can’t predict the future” is the most important part :slight_smile: