85% of iOS devices now on iOS 8

As of July 20, 2015, the following is the breakdown for iOS versions, according to App Store usage.

85% - iOS 8
13% - iOS 7
2% - earlier

It’s a brave new world folks. Long gone are the days of supporting generations of old versions of an operating system, at least on iOS and I would suggest OS X is heading that direction too, just not quite as fast.

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

these are biased datas … only recent connect to the app store to update apps
the others dont connect as only apps for ios7 or 8 are allowed by apple (and 10.7+ for mac apps)
there are A LOT of older devices that simply dont connect to the app store, but still works.
but if you are in business yes you have to develop for ios7+ to sell your apps !
(mainly because apple won’t accept ios6 apps for the store !)

I would agree that there are a lot of older devices that still work but if they’re not buying anything from the App Store, unless you’re making Enterprise apps for a batch of old devices or something, they’re not in the market to buy software from you. My father is very happy with his old iPhone 4 and sees no reason to upgrade but he’s also not in the market to buy an app.

I’m happy with my iPhone 4 as well :stuck_out_tongue:
Of course I can tell you life to date how many minutes (not hours) of talk time I’ve used it for
My monthly contract costs me about $10 a minute at the rate I use it
And I still do buy apps for it :slight_smile:

[quote=203096:@Norman Palardy]I’m happy with my iPhone 4 as well :stuck_out_tongue:
Of course I can tell you life to date how many minutes (not hours) of talk time I’ve used it for
My monthly contract costs me about $10 a minute at the rate I use it
And I still do buy apps for it :)[/quote]
I guess it’s only iOS 7?

I wish I had an older iPhone/iOS. I could have used my RaspberryPi to watch Yahoo Screen, but Apple changed something so the newer systems don’t work with the AirPlay on the RaspberryPi. Instead, I had to buy an apple TV to view the programs that I wanted to watch.

It is only a 4 not a 4S so yes stuck on iOS 7
Still makes phone the few calls I get and lets me send the occasional text - probably will for the next 5 years as well

[quote=203112:@Norman Palardy]It is only a 4 not a 4S so yes stuck on iOS 7
Still makes phone the few calls I get and lets me send the occasional text - probably will for the next 5 years as well[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that. You’re probably several thousand miles from an Apple Store where you live up there anyway, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

about 150
one to the north & one to the south both equidistant

and no I dont have to put on my muluks and parka, climb out of my igloo, ride my horse to the store, and fight off polar bears on the way

I hop in my F350 4WD and run em over :slight_smile:

F350… I bet the gas gauge needle moves as fast as the speedo needle does

Living where I do a truck is a necessity

The needle actually moves slower than my older Silverado 1500HD (which has a bigger engine - go figure)
The 350 is heavier duty frame, brakes etc so hauling a big load wont get me pulled over by the cops for being overloaded
But not necessarily a bigger engine - its actually got a 6 speed so it runs at a lower average RPM than my old truck

Have to haul my own garbage to the dump - once every 3 months or so
Sometimes snow as deep as the truck is tall - so a 4WD or good quality AWD is required
And even then there are days we’ve been unable to get to work because the snow drifts are so deep

And it comes in handy for hauling those folks who are silly enough to think a Prius is adequate in the winter up here on country roads :stuck_out_tongue:

The joys of country living :slight_smile:

So is there any reason to not let Xojo support plugins on iOS then ? since iOS 8 allows it, and that is what App store users are using more or less anyhow.

At least a couple reasons I can think of

1. we still compile for iOS 7 which doesn’t have any way to support plugins of any kind
  2. plugins cant be loaded on iOS in the same way we load them on OS X, Windows Linux etc so it requires a completely new loading mechanism

I’m sure if joe wasn’t up to his ears in raspberry pi, 64 bit compilers & linkers and linux he might chime in with some others I missed