64 bits and/or 32 bits?

I don’t know if this question was already made and in this case sorry for the noise…

When a Xojo 64 bit compiler will arrive the 32 bit environment will be deprecated or possibly removed?
In the case Xojo will support both there will be different API’s or from the same source possibly will be produced programs for both 32 and 64 bits systems?

Best regards.

We won’t know for sure until it arrives but from what I’ve heard is that 64 bit will be a ‘beta’ option (i.e. checkbox) until it’s been fully vetted. Then it will become the default. Then at some point in the future 32 bit will be deprecated and finally removed.

Until you hear it from a Xojo representative take this with a grain of salt.

I’d expect that, like the transition between Carbon & Cocoa where you could select the framework, that there will be a 32 or 64 bit option

While Apple’s supported Mac OS’s are all 64-bit now, Linux and Windows still have a 32 and 64 bit versions. I’d expect the choice to remain when compiling for years.

I agree with Niles here.

It seems that the request for x64 softwares is still a small fraction on Windows platform.

But in the long run we will be using x64 platform but still the major desktop environment is 32-bits.

[quote=62241:@Bob Keeney]We won’t know for sure until it arrives but from what I’ve heard is that 64 bit will be a ‘beta’ option (i.e. checkbox) until it’s been fully vetted. Then it will become the default. Then at some point in the future 32 bit will be deprecated and finally removed.

Until you hear it from a Xojo representative take this with a grain of salt.[/quote]
Did you say they will remove 32 bit support? Why can they not really on a code injector for Java/Phython or something? It may not be able to make a consist framework or implement new things but surely it could mean that there will be 32 bit and 64 bit support. It may also make up for complaints about all kinds of things. Couldn’t they just deprecate and then come back to it a little. Maybe my knowledge is to little for me to suggest this? :\
Thanks

Following current trends, we are approximately 21 months and 13 days away from the point where a basic Hello World app on any of these OSs will require more than 2 GB of addressable space. That’s not a Xojo issue. But it is a shame that the industry didn’t plan for intermediate 40, 48, and 56 bit addressing to soften the blow a little.