64-bit Windows build with Xojo 2016r4.3

I started building for 64-bits because Apple said that OS X 10.15 will not support 32-bit apps. There appears to be no problems with a 64-bit build for Mac, and that was as far as I was going to go.

But then a new customer reported that his copy of my program quit running when his Windows 10 automatically upgraded to version 1903, so I figured I should build 64-bit for Windows as well. If, as Michael and others said, 32-bit apps are still universal on Windows, then I’m wondering why version 1903 causes this error before the program even starts up:

Runtime Error
Press OK to Continue
Press Cancel to Quit
Please report what caused this error along with the information below.
Common\Win32\DrawableD2D.cpp:824
Failure Condition: 5_OK==
D2D().D2DFactory()->CreateWicBitmapRenderTarget(mBmp,&props, &mRenderTarget)

Tim Jones wrote:
As Emile says - download the 19r1.1 package and install it onto a Windows system (this is free and a VM is fine), load your project there, and run it with the Windows settings set to x86 64-bit.
Also, open the Search pane and search for OptimumVP. What’s returned there?

I have Windows 7 in a VM. Would that suffice for that test? If it does run in debug mode, would that prove that a 64-bit build in 19r1.1 would be successful?

A search for “OptimumVP” shows up zilch. It does not occur anywhere in my source code, but it is the first item in the Contents list. I have tried changing it to various other names, but no matter what I change it to, it’s a syntax error.

Windows 7 will work fine for this.

As for OptimumVP not showing up, I would save the project as VCP/Text our XML and the grep through the source to find it. It has to be somewhere or the compiler wouldn’t be reported it.

Win 7 ? Too old. Maybe you need this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Have you tried it on a Win 10? Check it out, maybe your OS is not ok.

And a newer Xojo.

Try the OS update first, then, if problem persists, try a newer Xojo, again, anything between 2016r3 and 2019r1.1, I discourage for Windows, and Win 64 anything below 2019r1.1.

Hi Rick, I think you missed what Dan’s up against. He knows that his Xojo is old, but that still doesn’t answer where his 64bit compile problem is coming from. Since he can ship a 32bit version, this has now become an exercise rather than an emergency. We’re trying to provide mechanisms for him to compare how the compiler handles the code and the 19r1.1 on Windows 7 will be fine to compare against.

Just for the record. After 2016r3, Xojo started to play with direct2d instead of GDI, all sorts of problems rised, and 64 were even more unstable. Microsoft were playing with “updates” on it’s part too, so I don’t know if some of those have broken the Xojo part. The “Common\Win32\DrawableD2D.cpp:824” error can be related to this too https://forum.xojo.com/51504-runtime-error-drawabled2d

Rick, I’m not trying to build bitmaps, so I’m having trouble understanding the reason for that link. In fact, the “Runtime error” is apparently occurring in the OS. My code doesn’t even get to the Open event, and none of the phrases in the error message appear anywhere in my code. But as Tim said, building a 64-bit Windows app is now just an exercise of very low importance (assuming we can get past that “Runtime error” of a 32-bit app on Windows 10 version 1903).

I just remembered I have an old laptop running an early version of Windows 10. My 32-bit app runs fine on it. I hesitate to letting it upgrade to 1903. It wouldn’t do me any good because I know next to nothing about Windows. I’ve been using Macs since 1994.

I would give a free copy of the current version of my project (Optimum Video Poker) to any Windows guru who would be interested in trying it on Windows 10 v1903. It would be on CD ROM.

I (and other readers certainly) understand that.

Debugings (may) means to make tests; using recent Xojo and WIndows may help understanding. You may be lucky and get a better error message if you run your software on more recent (different) OS / Xojo. Usually, when I have a problem, I make tests with Xojo 2019r1.1 (the current version) and check if the trouble is there too. Last check, the problem vanished (same OS version); I use Xojo 2015r1, and I really know it is very old (4 years !) on El Capitan (pretty old too), go figure.

Of course, it depends on how old that Windows 10 is, but the update process takes hours (or days, depends on the Internet speed). I’ve made a Windows 10 upgrade to 1903 recently (two weeks ago).

The only “gurus” needing to address where your code (from your side, or xojo side) crashes, and why, are in Xojo Inc. And it should be in a downloadable form. Maybe someone eventually could face your same problem with a smaller code as well. If you isolated the problem to the win10 1903, we just need a reproducible code crashing for Xojo to investigate. Such thing probably will fire an urgent fix in the compiler/framework unless Microsoft have done a real bad job and THEY need to release a fix.

Wow, Win 10 1903 has a bad fame. It crashed versions of VLC and Chrome. And since release, multiple patches were launched.

August 30, 2019—KB4512941 (OS Build 18362.329)
August 13, 2019—KB4512508 (OS Build 18362.295)
July 26, 2019—KB4505903 (OS Build 18362.267)
July 9, 2019—KB4507453 (OS Build 18362.239)
June 27, 2019—KB4501375 (OS Build 18362.207)
June 11, 2019—KB4503293 (OS Build 18362.175)
May 29, 2019—KB4497935 (OS Build 18362.145)

Thanks to everyone who replied. This started because my 32-bit build would not run on Win 10 v1903. Rick lists several patches that have been made to what probably should have been called Windows 11. That last patch was just yesterday! I have forwarded this to my customer. I’ll let you know if he applies the patched and if it fixes his problem.