64-bit vs 32-bit Linux

I am trying to compile my web app for 64-bit with Xojo release 1 to run on Ubuntu Linux 64-bit server. Does anyone know how I would go about making this happen? Or does Xojo currently support 64-bit for Linux?

Thank you…

Xojo only creates 32-bit applications. You need to install the 32-bit compatibility libraries in order for Xojo apps to work on 64-bit versions of Linux.

You can try running

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

in the commandline. If I remember correctly, this got my compiled apps to run on Ubuntu 64-bit.

[quote=20187:@Greg Francis]I am trying to compile my web app for 64-bit with Xojo release 1 to run on Ubuntu Linux 64-bit server. Does anyone know how I would go about making this happen? Or does Xojo currently support 64-bit for Linux?

Thank you…[/quote]

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch is what you want for Ubuntu Server 11.04 or later.

Frederick,

Thank you, however, I am wanting to host it on my BlueHost account and they don’t allow anything to be installed on their servers. Is there a way to just compile the app for 64-bit? instead of trying to run it as 32-bit under a 64-bit environment?

Paul, thank you…I believe that is my answer… Is there an ETA on when Xojo will have a 64-bit compiler? It is pretty common for hosting servers to be 64-bit now.

Greg, There’s no 64 bit Linux until there’s 64 bit Linux. Date has not been promised. If I had to hazard a wild, uninformed guess of when it will ship, I’d take the over on one year from today. So what you really need to do is find a hosting service that will work with 32 bit apps. A warning… One very recent trend in VPS hosting of late is massive unified storage. While your 32 bit app will run fine with the 32 bit libs on the 64 bit machines, it will fail on storage access. Dreamhost has this issue right now on a scattershot basis. I’d expect it to become a more widespread deployment problem in the next year. You may need to look at more expensive hosting solutions like AWS (and TurnKey Linux) that give you precise control over your runtime environment.

[quote=20942:@Greg Francis]Frederick,

Thank you, however, I am wanting to host it on my BlueHost account and they don’t allow anything to be installed on their servers. Is there a way to just compile the app for 64-bit? instead of trying to run it as 32-bit under a 64-bit environment?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. Brad provided a very good and detailed reply. Hopefully it helps you to better understand the situation and your options.

@Greg F, have you asked the Bluehost team if they could install the 32bit compat libs onto your server? We used them a while back and they were quite agreeable with special requests where it didn’t affect the server for others (assuming you’re on a shared plan).

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Tim, yes, I asked them and they were not willing to install the 32bit drivers for me. I will look for another solution. currently I am just hosting it on my own server which is fine for now but would like to use a more robust environment in the future.

Thank you,

Greg

We moved over to Go Daddy on a dedicated server, so I can now do pretty much whatever we need. A bit more expensive than a shared BH plan, but it is for a business site.