64 bit debugging

I surely cannot be the only one that sees debugging in 64 bit frequently wander off into weird spots when you step

<https://xojo.com/issue/57782>
<https://xojo.com/issue/59427>

I’m seeing this on Windows & macOS regardless of restarting the machine, cleaning caches etc
Heck I’ve even reverted to debugging on macOS and Windows in 32 bit mode just because it works so much more reliably

Anyone else ?

The debugger has always crashed like crazy. What am I supposed to see in the video?

Before Catalina I would do my debugging in 32-bit because 64 takes so freaking long to compile and the debugger is so flaky. Stepping over an if statement causes the debugger to show the calling code instead. Breakpoints often don’t fire.

that it jumps from where the code IS t some random other place rather than just to the next line (which has a break on the IF true and if false branches
Its just off in never land some where and make debugging issues a real pain
I’m resorting to printf debugging in many cases because the debugger isnt reliable in 64 bit

And I guess this brings me to “OK its NOT just me !”

FB 57782 has been closed a while ago.

During straight forward development I go 32-bit. Just for speed and to avoid the issue described here on which I thought I was the only one dealing with crashes without any reproducible cause. I am mostly on windows 10 VM and sometimes Hight Siera.

Think now it’s really time to inquire this issue and not give up since the issue it enough proven existing and affects many of us.

It also skips the breakpoint on line 5, so maybe the stop on 28 is actually the stop from line 5 and the code has been shifted up. To test this can you place a breakpoint on line 5, 7 and 28, run the program, hit resume on line 28 (I assume it stops there again), does it stop on line 30 (which is actually the breakpoint on line 7) now even though there is no breakpoint there?

Closed as not reproducible - which I understand - but s thats not the same a "doesnt exist’
But I’d hazard a guess theyd see it debugging the IDE in 64 bit from time to time

I stopped debugging a 32 bits project because I cannot follow it in the debugger (it goes into the Paint Event, then… and never come back to my break point when I click in Run instead of Step Forward) some days ago.

I do not even recall where the problem was :frowning:

I don’t have the option of debugging in 32 bit as too many things won’t run there anymore. Many frameworks and others I would have to filter out and such. It would be more of a nightmare.

Definitely I can say without question that when walking down the code it jumps all over the place. Sometimes back to the parent calling method, sometimes to random places, sometimes it just doesn’t work at all. It is VERY frustrating.

I’ve mostly reverted to the ancient practice of just logging things as I go so I know where the error is happening in some detail before I even bother setting a debug point anymore. Which is really sad and not a step in a positive direction.

[quote=479184:@James Sentman]
I’ve mostly reverted to the ancient practice of just logging things as I go so I know where the error is happening in some detail before I even bother setting a debug point anymore. Which is really sad and not a step in a positive direction.[/quote]
Ditto - printf debugging is becoming my go to option as the debugger isnt behaving as expected